• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone with Clown Killifish experience?

toadass

Hi guys, i have just set up a 60p. It has been cycling for a few weeks now, so am looking at getting some small fish in there.
I was looking at getting Galaxy Rasboras but see a few pics of Clown Killifish which look awesome.
Has anyone kept these in a tank without a hood? As i have read somewhere a while back that they may jump.
The only other issue i may have is that i have seiryu stone which obviusly changes the hardness of the water, would these be ok with that? If not is there anything i can dose to soften the water?

Thanks Guys:)

All killifish will jump - it's only a matter of time. They will also get through the smallest gaps in a cover too.

You can't dose anything to soften water. You can add chemcials to lower the pH but they add to the TDS and raise the salinity / hardness. If you want soft water then you need to change a lot of water with RO water with 0 TDS. Your seiryu stone will continually harden it though but 50% weekly water changes with pure RO should keep the hardness down.

Agree with Ed. Used to keep clown killis first in london tap water but they were not happy. I then moved them to 50/50 rain/tapwater and eventually to almost pure rainwater. Made all the difference. They coloured up beautifully and produced constant supply of fry among the floating plants. Lovely fish

Cheers guys, give these a miss for now then!!

Sorry to go off topic, but what fish is that in your avatar? Looks like some type of ottinclus ? ( off my iPhone, sorry).

Looks like some kind of 'koi' variety :eek:

Hi all,
I kept a self-sustaining colony of Clown Killi's (Pseudepiplatys annulatus) for quite a long time. I kept them in a 4' tank with 100% rain-water and about 6 - 8" depth of water and a lots of plants, and I fed them almost entirely with live food (including a lot of aphids "green fly"). They are very surface orientated, and they do jump, but they are almost maintenance free other-wise. <Filterless tank | UK Aquatic Plant Society>
Scrap that, looked on 'safari' and its something different. What is it? Some type of ancistrus?
I'm cr*p at Loricariids, but I think it is Hypoptopoma sp. `PERU` <Hypoptopoma sp. `PERU` • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog>

cheers Darrel

Robocop Catfish how cool! :)
Seem to remember them featured in a shop tour in PFK one time....£9 each or something....could be wrong on the price but yeah a cool little fish :)

Think they are slightly different to the 'Peru' version Darell identified, but difficult to tell from toadass' avatar.

Hi all,
I think the ones at Pier and Hypoptopoma sp. `PERU` are probably the same fish. I also think there are 2 similarly marked small/very small Loricariid catfish. One is Hypoptopoma sp. `PERU` (formerly Nannoptopoma), and the other is an even smaller fish - Parotocinclus sp. (3) <Parotocinclus sp. (3) • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog>.

I would think both would be pretty tricky to keep, but if you could get healthy stock to start off with not impossible.

Have a look at Apistomaster (Larry Waybright) post's on PC about them <View topic - Feeding Hypoptopoma (Nannoptopoma) sp. Peru>.

He is a "man who can".

cheers Darrel

They're in wheatcroft garden centre in Nottingham...a bit far from you.

Are they now, that's great :) I do use that maidenhead quite a bit.... Only about a 40min drive for me - do you use them too then mate?

Whenever I'm at the queens medical centre, I always nip in there, they always have some weird and strange species in there.

Whenever I'm at the queens medical centre, I always nip in there, they always have some weird and strange species in there.

Yes they do that.... Some really nice rainbow fish too - their display tanks not bad either.

Back