• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UKaps ADA Showcase - Comments

Re: UKaps ADA Showcase

Fantastic tanks chaps!

I do have one question though and this is more evident on George's tank. Everything is simply lush and theres not a single hint of algae, especially on the anubas. How have you managed this? Is it down to your fert routine or your clean up critters? Do you just snip off infected leafs?

I'd love to know how you manage this as I always have a slight bit of greenspot even though I up my phosphate levels and have Otto's in there doing a great job of clearing up.

I just dosed EI and EasyCarbo coupled with good maintenance, lighting and Co2. I never had to trim my anubius, it was a year old and never stripped a leaf! George even commented on the lack of algae in PFK. I don't know what to say, i suppose it was EasyCarbo doing the job???

Graeme Edwards said:
Its great to see so much excitement, its very rewarding to see your posts. This is what Ukaps is about, we as founders are doing our job, Ukaps is working. That makes me very happy...really really good to see the hobby growing and new members getting involved and entering competitions. I remember first hearing about the AGA and it was a night mere just trying to find out even what it was. So this society is doing great in my eyes!!!! :D

Happy days every one!!!

Cheers.

this is exactly the reason we got going in the first place :) Graeme's hit the nail on the head.

Everyone should be very proud of all their hard work.. without the input from all our members we'd have nothing to look at or read.

Dan Crawford said:
I just dosed EI and EasyCarbo coupled with good maintenance, lighting and Co2. I never had to trim my anubius, it was a year old and never stripped a leaf! George even commented on the lack of algae in PFK. I don't know what to say, i suppose it was EasyCarbo doing the job???

Dan,

When you say good maintenance, what do you mean? Water changes?

I'm interested to know if people with planted tanks use a gravel vac or leave the plants to break down any waste.

Yeh, water changes. Stiring up the grass or moss or whatever and then a nice big 50 percenter, if it was really messy for whatever reason i'd do two. Gravel vacking is critical IMO. If the flow is too harsh for your carpeting plants etc then just place your finger over the end of the hose until you get the desired amount of flow, then hold it there till your done. If you are struggling then do more water changes, before the photoshoot for my tank i did 50% a day for a week and the results were awesome. I dosed the new water wil the required amount of ferts.

Aeropars said:
Thats something I havent been doing so think I'll start to do it. I currently water change using a 15 meter hose and the suction form it isnt enough to power a gravel vac for some reason. I'll have to remove 25l with the vac and go from there i think.

I find the python to be pretty good, it is strong enough to clear detritus and the whole process does not take long...well that is until i started doing waterchanges on an 800 litre!

Aeropars said:
I do have one question though and this is more evident on George's tank. Everything is simply lush and theres not a single hint of algae, especially on the anubas. How have you managed this? Is it down to your fert routine or your clean up critters? Do you just snip off infected leafs?

As with all successful planted tanks, it's a combination of things, as Dan has suggested. Good light, CO2, other nutrients, good water circulation/filtration and regular maintenance. I do snip of the oldest Anubias leaves that show any algae and this promotes new leaf production. Easycarbo is useful too for assisting algae prevention.

Beautifully looking tanks!

Is there a website which shows the pictures of the entries from the ADA competition?

Best,
fandango

where you getting these from Dan? been looking around and I can't find them :?

Hi everyone, i've just had my letter from the ADA and it says that the images still can't be published till after the ADA party so i've removed them all.

Back