• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquanano 40 DSM shrimp pics

Cheers nduli. It's a perfect fit for the tank IMO. Go for it :)

Yeah, thanks for the info on the light.....mmm....sounds ideal and if i rescape mine ill be removing the rear filter chamber i think in favour of external and glassware :cool: so no issue with it being in the way for maintenance.

I think the moss would be nice, if used very sparingly....the look now is very crisp and the moss may soften/naturalise it too much if left to fill in a lot....Georges looks really nice with just the tiny clusters, you could keep it like that and it will add an extra texture subtly. I like the idea of the taller eleocharis, even just a few well placed plantlets will have a big impact....but thats just me, maybe see how you feel once its flooded :)

Cheerio,
Ady.

Sounds very cool Ady. I shouldn't say this really (mines not even flooded yet lol) but if I get tired of this scape that is exactly what I would do :)
BTW did you use the supplied filter media or exchange it out for something else?

This is the kind of effect I'd shoot for with regards the moss on top of the rock
redone18026_zps3660d459.jpg

Cheers,

Sounds very cool Ady. I shouldn't say this really (mines not even flooded yet lol) but if I get tired of this scape that is exactly what I would do :)
BTW did you use the supplied filter media or exchange it out for something else?

This is the kind of effect I'd shoot for with regards the moss on top of the rock
redone18026_zps3660d459.jpg

Cheers,

Looks very nice :)

Yeah I kept and used all the supplied filter media. I added some filter floss above the sponge as a kind of pre-filter, and also a small bag of purigen on top of the ceramic bio media.....havnt touched that since!
I think the filter is excellent and I really like the way the space hides all the equipment we need, but if I were to rescape I'd favour the extra scaping depth you would gain by removing it.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Thanks for the info. I've bought a small bag of purigen as well, might add some floss above the sponge as you have done also.
Agree it's a well thought out little tank, I also like the fact all that stuff and more can be hidden away back there... but.. the extra depth for scaping would be good also and then you can bring in the sexy glass ware and bigger external filter, in line heater, etc, etc lol. Always good to freshen it up once in a while :)

Cheers,

DSM been going for 3 weeks now.
HC continues to do well and spread. Hair grass recovering now with old growth dying off and more new growth appearing everyday :)

3weeks_zps895b8fd1.jpg

Yes it sounds like a very good idea! I'll add it to the shopping list. Cheers guys.

Hi Jack, I'm going to blast it with co2 (whilst there's no fauna in there). From what I've read.. plenty of co2 makes the transition easier and hopefully there should be no problems with the melting. Fingers crossed :)

Hi Jack, I'm going to blast it with co2 (whilst there's no fauna in there). From what I've read.. plenty of co2 makes the transition easier and hopefully there should be no problems with the melting. Fingers crossed :)
Look forward to seeing how it goes Mate, good luck :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Did you cover/block the lower rear filter inlet slots before adding your Aquasoil?

Ady, am in London this evening and dropped off work early to do my first ever visit to the aquatic design centre, they had a new aquanano40 in and it has changed in design, has 1 small slit at the bottom from what I could see (shrimp safe) and a change at the top where it appears you can add pre filter pads in slots, didn't get much time to look at it as I spent most of the time oggling the King Kong and blue bolts at 70 along with the black Sakura (beautiful) and loads of different crs grades. Must admit it has had me thinking a bit about some changes, just need to keep my expenditure in the aquatics department down at the moment...... :(

The king kongs in there are craaaaaaazy crazyyyyyy CRAZY SICKKKKKKKK(very good)

Wasup guys , time for a little update..

Did the blender/yogurt/moss method yesterday and painted the tops of the two largest rocks with xmas moss.
P1030879b_zps05510754.jpg

P1030876_zps63cb7228.jpg

Since the top of the rocks dry out quite quickly (even with 90% + humidity) I covered them with their own little green houses. I hope it will keep the moss moist enough to survive and attach to the rocks. I'm still misting the smallest rock once a day as the cover has large gaps where it doesn't fit the rock properly.

Here's a few shots I took last week
P1030866_zpsc4d7dbc5.jpg
P1030864_zps35bcda04.jpg
P1030865_zps5f007dca.jpg
P1030855_zpsf322793a.jpg

Cheers

Hi, your DSM going well but you can speed it up sticking CO2 line in the tank. Cover with clingfilm and mist even twice a day. I can see on the upper parts if the slope the HG is yellowing it is because the substrate gets a little dry. Keep the temps around 20 ies and all will be fine. DSM is a good learning curve though and will give you better understanding about the plants. Like the yoghurt method:D Keep updated. Your light can be 12-14h on as well;) Spray some water- ferts mix but very weak solution cause may burn the mosses:)

Hi clone, thanks for the comments :D I've actually only just got all the parts together for CO2 :) It is a little slow going but I've seen numerous post by Mr Barr telling people to have patience with this method, so that's what I'm doing :) The lid isn't tight fitting so there is some exchange in/out of the tank for the plants getting natural co2 but without losing all humidity.

If you see where I write in my first post about the HG being not so healthy and yellow before I plant it you will understand why it still looks a little 'off colour' now. However if you compare the first day photo to the newest you can see there is new green growth, but it's easier to see in person. I still need to trim some of the old dying leaves away.

The soil is ADA Amazonia, so I didn't add any ferts to my spray bottle, but as the moss does not have access to the nutrients I will add few drops to the bottle.

The temperature has dropped down to 15-16 degrees overnight once or twice without any ill effects, it does usually sit around the 20-22 degree mark during the day.

Lights are on from 8am-8pm.

Yeah the DSM is really a good learning curve. It has also given me plenty of time to read understand things better whilst still having a fun project on the go.

Cheers :)

You could probably afford to have your lights on for 14-16 hours too if it doesn't bother you too much ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
I had my lights on for 13 hrs a day for a while but I dropped them to 12 when someone said 10-12 hours was enough lol. Yeah sure 14-16 hours wouldn't hurt, well maybe just the pocket but not so much with the led :)

It's about 150 all in tho :(
Think mine was just over £130 all in from H2o aquatics but it still quite a lot. On the plus side you never have to buy a replacement bulb/tube, light output stays constant pretty much for it's life, and uses less leccy :)

Back