• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cutting an adding RO water to existing setup

nayr88

Hi ppl

I'm running my 30l high tech tank. I take every precaution to keep the tank looking good, with hiding equipment ect
I just can't get on top of the crud left around the glass when te water evaporates.

I'm thinking as its a private rented property I can't be messing with plumbing and drilling and fixing parts to the inside f the sink cabinet so instead I thought that I would buy a 10L drum of RO at a couple of quid week it's not going to break me. How long would RO stay 'good' for could I buy 10L drum and use it for a water change for 2weeks or would I need a new one everyweek.
A local shop does 4l drums and near to nothing to fill them

Should I start by just doing 90-10 mix and slowly increasing to around 60-40.

I keep cherry shrimp and would like to keep something a little more adventurous in the future so would benefit in other was also.

Does that sound ok? Or should I add a little RO through out the week to keep the water at a decent level fe a few weeks before introducing a small amount at WC?

Cheers

Even at a very low concentration I would drip acclimatise the tank with the RO/Tap mix

You can keep R/0 stored for a couple of weeks no problem been doing it for a long time.Is your tap water not suitable and you can't get the levels you require?If you want to change TDS,hardness etc just mix the R/O and tap like you said with little change in level.Over a period of time slowly slowly you can obtain a level you require.Just be patient about it.Cheers mark

Thanks for the reply mark
Tbh I need to get hold of a tds pen. Im going by what other local people have said about hard water really and the residue left on my glass as water evaporates

That's the main reason for wanting to bring tds down in hope It will rid me of that problem and also to see if it does (which I'm no saying it will) have much difference on plant health. Also I would like in te near future to keep some expensive shrimp and wild apistogramma, separate tanks obviously haha

I think I may aswell start now as il get me into good practice for when I'm ready for a bit of a wild challenge.

The removal of crud/scum/mineral deposits. Is another benefit of using RO.
I only keep CRS at the moment, so run with a TDS of 130, And my glass is no longer a issue.

Incidentally i bought a cheapo pen off fleabay, I now wonder how i ran without it.
Im sure the tank occupants are a lot happier, now any changes in TDS ,are a lot more gradual, plus a rising TDS reading tells you its time for action.
Incidentally like Mark, i initially stored Ro, I was told to keep it in a sealed air type, food safe container, to keep it pure. Worked so well went out bought my own system.

Back