• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is Purigen safe?

Oh snap I got 25ml from ebay...DAMNIT!! Oh well only a couple quid

Someone here states thet Purigen lowers TDS but manufacturer states that it will raise and this is what happend in my tank. Not much (about 50uS, 600l tank and recommendation dose) but it did. As my EC is really high from tap, I have been too worried to add it more. Just my experience.

Purigen wont increase TDS I don't think?

Hi all,
Definitely should be safe, and will have very little effect on TDS etc. it isn't like an ion exchange resin, where it swaps one ion for another, it is basically a very fine mechanical filter with some ability to hold onto organic compounds.

Personally I'm keen on tinted water, and I always make sure that I have some tannins etc., if I kept Rift Lake Cichlids or Marines things would be different.

I think that Purigen is analogous to GAC (activated charcoal), but with a much larger surface area and longer effective life.

These types of micro-porous polymeric resin are used quite a lot in the water industry, I assume that the bleach oxidises any organic fouling, rather than anything more complicated.

The only worry I would have is that the dissolved organic carbon compounds that it removes may be quite important as chelators of metals like zinc and copper, and for this reason I would not use them with shrimps.

Have a look at these links for some more on chelation (via the ever informative "skeptical aquarist"):
<http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/dissolved-organics>
<Chelation | The Skeptical Aquarist>
<Humic substances | The Skeptical Aquarist>

cheers Darrel

Hi all
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I was thinking about using this stuff and how to fit it in my filter. Could someone let me know how much Purigen can you fit into the seachem 'Bag'?
Also I have just asked a question on the PFK forum about adding it to my filter instead of the white fine eheim pad (hadnt spotted this thread at that point) - would this be a good idea?
cheers
Willard

Hi all
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I was thinking about using this stuff and how to fit it in my filter. Could someone let me know how much Purigen can you fit into the seachem 'Bag'?
Also I have just asked a question on the PFK forum about adding it to my filter instead of the white fine eheim pad (hadnt spotted this thread at that point) - would this be a good idea?
cheers
Willard

Hey, this isn't to be used 'instead of' a fine filter floss, but alongside. It has as similarity to sand in look and grain size but feels almost like lots of tiny rubber balls to the touch.

As for the amount you can fit in a bag, I have just ordered 2 bags today ( the empty refillable ones, not the 100g pre bagged one). Ive got 200ml so will gauge from that how much you'll be able to max in a bag and report back.

Cheers,

Hi Nathaniel
Thanks for the pointer about the fine foam - I'll order some more then. If you could provide an update that would be great cheers.
Nice dog by the way, is he a Malamute or a Husky?

Hi Nathaniel
Thanks for the pointer about the fine foam - I'll order some more then. If you could provide an update that would be great cheers.
Nice dog by the way, is he a Malamute or a Husky?

Yes willard, I will let you know.

To maximise purigen life you should put it on top of the fine floss. To prevent as much clogging as possible.

Thanks mate, He is a Siberian Husky , and also a pain in the bum :D

Cheers,

I use it instead of floss, floss is a pain as it slows the flow to easy. Purigen acts as a water polisher, as does floss.

Yeah, but Im running a 2078, on a 92 litre tank...

I guess I can afford a little here an there :)

------------ Technical Specifications:-

For Tank litre: 700 ltr
Pump Output: 1850 ltr
Delivery Head: 2.6m
Power Consumption: 10-35 w
Filter Volume: 8.6l (8 + 0.6) Prefilter
Dimensions (H x W x D): 534 x 264 x 264

Oooooooosssshhh!

Oooooooosssshhh!

now I know the ins and out of your filter I guess you do have a little bit of flow to loose haha.

Oooooooosssshhh!

Not everyone is running a filter that powerful though, so flow is more important IMO.

Not everyone is running a filter that powerful though, so flow is more important IMO.

Understood, but whos do I base it on other then my own. If someone is sticking to that 10x rule, they should easily have enough under the hood.

Also, what if it were a low tech? Is flow as important then?

I know where your coming from but Im working with the 'Ideals' and would definitely prefer to have floss and purigen where possible.

This is from past personal experience, and floss after a week or two can cut the flow by a third at least. In a high tech tank this can have bad effects on the distribution of c02 around the tank, people end up with bba as a common side effect of this.

In a low tech tank it's a little different...there is a lot of variables which impact on how much flow you'll need. But you still need to get nutrients around the tank, as we know though, co2 distribution is the one to concentrate on in a high tech tank. In a low tech tank you have more of a wider window to get things wrong as well, as the light driving the plant growth shouldn't impact on plant growth as much as a high tech planted tank.

As we know each tank is different.

Back