• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

FE and safety

SmallestFrog

Hi all,

I'm thinking about switching over to a FE set-up, but I have avoided it in the past because, well, of this:

What sort of safety precautions should I be aware of when fitting a reg to a CO2 FE? Am I right in saying the reg must be at the off position when fitting it? And when you turn the FE on, you take the pin out, depress the handle... then what? Do you do this before you turn the reg on? Or after?

Sorry for the silly questions - I know nothing about high pressure bottles, and don't want to kill myself, even for some very nice plants :)

Cant believe ive never seen that episode! Best way ive found is make sure everythings off, put it all together SLOWLY depress handle. If there is a leak your only releasing a tiny amount. Onfe its depressed all the way then open your valve. The problem is not setting it up, you need to make sure its in a secure posistion or location as the danger is knocking it iver and snapoing the reg off.

People make more of it than its necessary! a 2kg bottle most likely won't have that kind of pressure anyway and empty in no time. If you don't feel that comfortable get 500g disposable bottles!

Mythbusters are using very very large cylinders with air (? or N2) at 300bar. An FE is liquid CO2 at only 50bar, can't compare like with like.

i have see a welding bottle of co2 go off like that when been dropped and knocked the valve
off i have also seen an acetylene bottle go up after a flash back and i mean go up like a rocket
after blowing the soft point out in the bottom of the bottle but i dont think a FE would go off like that
i would wonder about brewery co2 bottle though

i would wonder about brewery co2 bottle though
There have been quite a few documented cases of brewery CO2 bottles bursting with injuries and considerable damage....however these were where the cylinder had been abused. I think they were where the pub landlord was filling smaller cylinders from a larger one and the CO2 was not dry, thus causing condensation in the cylinder and corrosion leading to the cylinder bursting. Also the cylinders were way beyond there end of life date as stamped on the cylinder. If he had returned the cylinders to be refilled at a proper supplier none of this would have happened as they refill via moisture absorbers, inspect inside of "older cylinders" (5 years ?) and dispose of cylinders beyond their end of life date (10 years I think).

Any FE you buy in UK will be in test date and OK.

co2 bottles are filled while being stood in vats of freezing cold water
to prevent condensation forming in the bottles from what i have been
told i have a mate who fills compressed air for the divers and also co2
for paint ballers i dare say he could do my co2 cylinder for my plants
i will have to ask him

CO2 are not usually placed in water to fill as they are being filled with liquid CO2, though often the cylinders are pre-chilled so as to not waste liquid CO2 filling. They are also filled by weight not pressure, filled to 68% capacity only.

Compressed air cylinders are different and are cooled at they are generally filled from a compressor (or storage tank) and do get warm/hot as filled.

Paint ballers generally have moved to air now (last time I played everyone was air) as gives more consistent firing. They just attach cylinder to a bigger tank and open valves. No need to cool.

even compressed air tanks are stood in cold water when being filled (they get very hot )
the rig for filling co2 bottles is pretty impressive i wonder how long
it will be before you see a paint baller with a cylinder on his back like
a diver so e can fire more shots lol

Umm..avoid using a steel guillotine to chop off your cylinder valve?

Cheers,

Just to be clear, I do know the difference between fitting a reg and purposely bursting open a pressurised cyclinder. I don't think its unreasonable to ask questions of safety, considering the lethal potential here?

Thank you (everyone else, anyway) for your replies.

I personally think that it is un safe to use a FE set up, the purpose of a FE is to put out fires, in industry anything that has been modified for a different use is not allowed and the HSE would back that up. Ask yourself would you be allowed to modify an FE in work or would you have to get a cylinder with a shut off valve?

And they look crap next to your fancy expensive glassware!!!

Ask yourself would you be allowed to modify an FE in work or would you have to get a cylinder with a shut off valve?
Yes I have installed, for work FE's for purposes they we not intended and safety officer had no issues, other than making sure can't be knocked over (which is why FE's are wall hung or placed in a free standing holder. They were installed in 19" equipment racks, with a pipe to take CO2 to a solenoid valve and "meltable" pipe in top of rack. If there was a fire in the rack, the pipe melts and discharges the CO2, job done. Solenoid is necessary to isolate the CO2 when door was open. FE handle held shut with clamp. Job done. Absolutely no safety issues at all.

Been running 600g disposable bottles until I got my first 2kg FE this last weekend and after confirming that my reg (a Hydor green NRG im afraid) would fit etc, it did but not without difficulties I stepped outside complete with large coat and gloves on, blanket to cover the FE earplugs in just in case it went bang and safety goggles and pressed down on the lever...

I accidentally opened up a 500g bottle im my arms before, it was just a bit loud. The pressure wasn't that bad tbh.

Been running 600g disposable bottles until I got my first 2kg FE this last weekend and after confirming that my reg (a Hydor green NRG im afraid) would fit etc, it did but not without difficulties I stepped outside complete with large coat and gloves on, blanket to cover the FE earplugs in just in case it went bang and safety goggles and pressed down on the lever...
Don't tell me....
1. It exploded, removing both your hands and crippling next doors puppy.
2. It froze both your hands which have now been amputated due to frost bite.
3. CO2 went everywhere, put neighbours fire out but asphyxiated you and neighbour.
4. Went "psst" and nothing happened..

Don't tell me....
3. CO2 went everywhere, put neighbours fire out but asphyxiated you and neighbour.
:)
None of the above, nothing except the high pressure dial went to 52, less exciting than screwing on a disposable bottle were your franticly turning the reg so as to loose as little co2 as possible while it hisses out like an angry snake, was almost disappointed and felt a bit daft.

Don't tell me....

Mine is no. 4 :)

Moved onto pub style now. That video is cool though. Our lass better not see it lol

Back