• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is Purigen safe?

Hi Nath thanks for that info much appreciated. Ive never used this stuff before, so could someone answer a question I have please. I see that 100ml is supplied bagged. Does this mean it comes in a mesh bag for use in a filter?

Hey mate,
Yep! Its ready for action. I actually bought 2 'the bags' as i can run some in my shrimp tank too.

Didn't see a point in me buying three or four pre bagged when i had 200ml at home.
Cheers,

Thanks for the replies fellas. I will get two 100ml bags then and pop them in the filter instead of the wool and see how that works. I have a tight foam sponge on the intake and that seems to be catching all the gunk but as a result I have noticed a drop in flow. I only have an ecco pro 300 and I am beginning to regret not getting something bigger.

Glad I looked this thread as I intend to use Purigen in my new tank, but I went and bought some Nutrafin Aqua + a month back whilst the LPS had 10% off (in readiness for when my DSM tank is finally flooded). Looking at the bottle it has slime coat :( Going to buy some Prime now instead. Thanks OP :)

Thanks. But i just calculate and it show me 0.018 grams in water will treat 5liters of water as this is right ??? any could give me any direction to use this product just to make purigen safe after recharge pleaseee. Thanks

Thanks. But i just calculate and it show me 0.018 grams in water will treat 5liters of water as this is right ??? any could give me any direction to use this product just to make purigen safe after recharge pleaseee. Thanks

As an example I make 2 litres or 2000 ml of stock solution, I want 15ml to treat 36 gallons of water, so I enter this, and the calculator tells me I need to add approx 64g of sodium thiosulfate to the 2 litre bottle. The table below gives additional doses for different sizes of water to be dechlorinated. This assumes you are starting with 1ppm of chlorine in your water. This is for normal water changes.
I usually use a 50/50 water/ stock mix to treat my Purigen to ensure the bleach is adequately dechlor'd

Thanks DTL just ordered some of this stuff from ebay. Thanks Again

Seachem prime is the ONLY dechlorinator I would use with Purigen.

Once again I'm sorry for my stupid questions but is that the only dechlor you would use at all with a tank running purigen. As in water changes and recharging the purigen or is it find to use other dechlor's on your tank when running purigen. Cheers Nathan

Once again I'm sorry for my stupid questions but is that the only dechlor you would use at all with a tank running purigen. As in water changes and recharging the purigen or is it find to use other dechlor's on your tank when running purigen. Cheers Nathan

No mate, apparently its claimed that most other brands, even if dosed on water change will have a negative effect on purigens recharging properties.

Seachem prime is a great product & lasts a very long time due to it being highly concentrated in comparison to other dechlors.

Cheers,

I just use Prime as my dechlorinator and after recharging the Purigen with bleach I soak it in prime for 24 hours to get rid of any leftovers.

From the site:
Thanks for the post. On the revised instructions for regenerating Purigen, it is no longer necessary to soak the media in a buffer solution. The instructions are as follows:
Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well.
As long as you rinse the media well after the dechlorination step and there is no sign of residual chlorine/bleach, the Purigen should be ready for use. We are currently working on changing the instructions on the website and any labels printed in the future will have that step omitted.

Is Purigen a bit like Zeolite in that it absorbs nitrogen compounds from the get go rather than a media which nitrosomonas and nitrobacter can colonise?

No, it doesn't take ammonia from the water column. It has a infinity for organic n03 though.

prepped my filter ready for some purigen , as it comes so highly reccomended . when it got delivered it had the following media . at the bottom those ceramic tube things ,then a blue filter sponge , then the litle bio-balls , followed by a floss pad and a black carbon pad . i binned the floss pad and carbon pad , poured out the bio-balls , removed the sponge , put the bio-balls in on top of the "noodles" and the sponge at the very top . the gap left by floss pad etc will house the bags of purigen

It has an affinity to organic waste and leaves inorganic stuff alone, so it doesn't impact on EI dosing or any other dosing. Saying that, you can't 100% rely o it and must keep on top of the water changes (in a high tech tank).

apparently not :)

I got a 500g myself and put 200g of it in a 300l tank and honestly I see no difference so I wondered what it does really. The TDS varies +/- 10ppm and if anything, it isn't any lower for sure. I put a 100g in a 100L tank too and visually there's no difference. I mean the water was never dirty to start with even though I never use carbon either. I guess it does something but I can't see. Is it bad in a shrimp tank then? Someone mentioned it could prevent the copper from being detoxified?

Back