• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Getting started

Palm Tree

Hi guys, I've had my first DSLR a while now and I thought i'd post up a few shots. None are edited although I have acccess to photoshop and I can re download GIMP, I wouldn't know where to start though. I have a lot to learn, mainly trying to capture what I see, not what the camera sees. I could also do with a tripod.
Some marcro shots are with my Canon 18-55mm II mounted in reverse but some are with it mounted normally.
IMG_0735_zps1f34d69f.jpg
IMG_0705_zps9b963088.jpg
IMG_0709_zpsa2d55286.jpg

IMG_0693_zpsec5cad26.jpg
IMG_0690_zps5c5935ef.jpg

Nice shots Palm tree, just go through how you got the macros again with the 18-55mm?

Nice shots Palm tree, just go through how you got the macros again with the 18-55mm?
By using a reversing ring, you can use the lens the 'wrong' way round. To focus you have to move the camera manually forwards and backwards.
Here is a great explanation:
How it works
These diagrams show how reverse lens macro photography works. With a lens mounted on a camera in the normal position (below top), the image of a large object is reduced in size so that it can be recorded on the sensor or film. When the lens is mounted in reverse (below bottom), the opposite happens. Small objects are recorded at life-size or enlarged – a 50mm lens reverse mounted on a body with an APS-C size sensor achieves near life-size reproduction.
EOS magazine article: Using reversing rings for macro shots

I will be trying to get my plants to flower this year so I can help get some proper ID's. Then there will be alot more pics up with pics of submerged, emersed and flowers for as much as I can.
Here is Hedyotis salzmannii breaking the surface of the water and growing on wood.
IMG_0561_zps9e1a62a3.jpg
IMG_0583_zps736333a8.jpg
IMG_0585_zps80ab90c0.jpg

Great shots. Thanks for sharing the reversal ring trick... Off to eBay I go for a Nikon one!

I've just bought the extension tubes to try as I couldn't get my head around the reverse lens
The reversing ring method generally produces better quality images that extension tubes, also the reversing ring was a couple of pounds and really easy to use (just mount the lens backwards), however you have to be careful not to damage the back of the lens as it is exposed.

Back