• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Allpondsolutions 1400ef+

Ok, fair enough. And yours is half full only, which is another reason I think it has got a problem.
If it wasn't a pain to do it, I'd take out half the media and test myself.
I might strip everything down again and clean it so its like new, then see if the flow has improved at all. I'll try and do a test with and without media.

I can't find the elbows so not really, I'm also a bit too busy at the moment but if I have some spare time soon i'll have a look for the elbows and get a video up.

If your flow is worse with half the media inside, I wouldn't think it has anything to do with the media being dirty. I've left mine uncleaned for ages and the tank is fairly well stocked. Check for blockage, possibly the tubes, the impeller too could be faulty or dirty and restricting the flow or generally something is wrong. You said yours gets trapped air inside too, so it isn't really working properly at all.
If you can't fix the flow I'd be contacting APS and ask.

I have a 2000 and the elbows on it filters are much smaller than the tubing and will reduce the flow (the restriction will increase velocity locally though).

Personally I've changed mine for some tubing and two 45 degree elbows from a juwel filter (that is the same diameter). This has reduced the velocity but allowed much better flow through the filter. The outlet of mine is about 4" below the water's surface and ruffles the surface of the water very slightly at the front of the tank 32" away - pretty good flow IMO. The other filter on this tank is an Ehiem 2128 which is positioned with the outlet much higher. It has less flow than the APS, but the outlet being higher ruffles he surface much better.

It sounds like you have some kind of obstruction / fault with your filter or something isn't set up right with it.

You'll get bad examples in all filters - I've had issues with Ehiems - but you'd hope more expensive filters would have better quality control as well as maybe a better build quality.

My APS 2000 is great if you don't expect it to perform like a filter 5 times it's price. It's as quiet as my Ehiem (and they are running next to each other on my 750l tank), it has a larger capacity (though I leave it half empty to improve the flow rate) and it's easy to clean with strong, positive clips (better then my Ehiem 2128 IMO).
Downsides - the plastic used for baskets and inlet/outlets is very cheap and brittle, the inlets aren't air tight and don't fit well, the outlets are too narrow and would restrict the flow too much (so I use the 45 degree bits of pipe from a Juwel filter as they are the right diameter) and it can be a pain to get all the air out after cleaning. Overall I'm happy with the balance between ups and downs and will enjoy using mine. And if it gives up in a couple of years I can get another for £60!

Ed,

I've been looking at possibly getting the APS 2000 for my 250 litre Vicenza Tank, one question if I may, you quote £60, is this what they acually go for as I see on their site they're £80, not that it's too much difference but it could swing it for me.
At the moment i'm unsure what to buy, I currently have a Fluval 305 which plainly isn't upto the job so I either go for a second hand fx5 or something lke the APS 2000 to run as well as my 305.
Any direction would be welcomed
thanks

Clive

£60 was what I paid but looks like they've gone up! Not the best idea from them as if they get close to price of other filters then they lose their big selling point!!!

Cheers Ed, I've found a brand new Fluval 406 not even used for just £40 so couldn't refuse, just got to drive to Portsmouth at the weekend to collect so a day out with the kids!

Should be good to run alonside my existing 305 until I can get another 406 to match and eventually replace the 305 altogether, should help me with my flow issues once spraybars are fitted

I've got two 1400s on my Rio 240, no real grumbles. The air thing I experienced was the main seal nut being properly seated, care and Vaseline sorted that.

The APS filters do take a lot of power though. The 1400 is 35W. Higher consumption than some other manufacturers. Had I realised at the time I'd have done a running cost comparison.

The Fluval 406 fell through so i'm still looking for a suitable additional filter for my Vicenza 260 (248 l)

I'm still interested in purchasing an APS 2000 to go in my left hand cupboard and then hopesfully get another when funds allow to eventually replace the fluval 305 I currently have altogether, running to identical flters with the same media placement seems my best plan from the advice given on here. The value for money on a new filter appeals to me as with cash is tight at the moment and I could afford one next payday if they are suitable, then save for a second in a few mths....so long as the kids only eat plain rice and beans for 2 months lol..

Anyhows, my query is to do with the UV option on the APS filters, I know these aren't necessary on a planted tank if all is running smoothly, but if used do they kill off the good bacteria at all, are they a definate no no for use in a planted tank?
Obviously it doesn't have to be used but I'm doing my homework so to speak on these filters and as a relative newcommer to the hobby there is much I am still learning.

Cheers
Clive

I've got two 1400s on my Rio 240, no real grumbles. The air thing I experienced was the main seal nut being properly seated, care and Vaseline sorted that.

The APS filters do take a lot of power though. The 1400 is 35W. Higher consumption than some other manufacturers. Had I realised at the time I'd have done a running cost comparison.

lurch1000 - what do you mean the main seal nut?

I have nearly had it with this filter, after coming back from holiday to find the filter seemingly half full of air (rocking it took 30mins to expel all the air) i decided to get it checked by APS, they took it back and told me friday there were no issues with it and want £8.50 to return it to me. properly peed off. Trying to persuade them its a good idea to send it me back FoC. if i reset it up and it sucks air in again in the first 24hrs then its going to the bin and being replaced by something different. i am tempted back to my beloved eheim but sooo costly and am consdering the JBLs - any views anyone?

Back