• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie in need of a little help

Evening guys and girls, I was wondering if some of you fine folks might be able to help me out? I'm planning on getting back into keeping tropical fish and plants and need some advise on picking my aquarium, I'm thinking of getting an interpet fishpod 120 Interpet Fish Pod Aquarium 120 but I'm not sure if I would actually be able to grow anything in this tank? I'm not after creating any aquascapes just being able to keep plants alive would be a good start :) if I were to get a decent substrate and add fertilisers would it be possible?

Thanks for your time :)

Hi thanks for the reply, last time I kept tropicals I had a fluval Roma 125 which was a nice tank but the reason I wanted that tank was I have a similar style nano reef tank and I'm quite fussy with things looking 'right' I've not made up my mind yet though just looking to gain some information and opinions so I get off to a good start. I was looking into the walstead method but it seems it might be more economical to just by a decent off the shelf substrate for the size of tank? I'm quite interested in co2 injection (I've never used it before) and might like to give that a try but would that be a bad move on something with such low wattage lighting?

Sorry for all the questions I have been lurking quite a while trying to take in as much as possible but it's nice to be able to actually ask the questions :)

In a low light aquarium, I'm looking at several tanks which all have around 36W over 90-100 litres can you still does fertilisers and have a nutritious substrate? I'm quite interested in Co2 but I'm not sure if this is an option at the tank needs to sit on a chest of draws so needs an internal filter and I have no where to hide the equipment...

Even in low light tanks you'll see a slight improvement in the plants when you add CO2, but to be quite honest I'd suggest you increase the watt per liter instead of investing in expensive CO2 solutions. (Cheep solutions like this one from Pets@Home is not going to help much in tank that size.)
I'd always give ferts, but you won't need much since the low light will mean slow growth.
As stated above Ferns and Anubias will be quite happy at even low light and you won't have to worry about too much maintenance or algae.

Thanks for the reply and the advise, the main reason I was going for the cheaper tanks was I have a reef tank with the same look and they will be sat next to each other so I thought it would look a little better. I'm trying to decide between hi tech and low tech but due to the fact I won't have a cabinet for the aquarium I think I don't really have much of a choice

Thanks for the reply and the advise, the main reason I was going for the cheaper tanks was I have a reef tank with the same look and they will be sat next to each other so I thought it would look a little better. I'm trying to decide between hi tech and low tech but due to the fact I won't have a cabinet for the aquarium I think I don't really have much of a choice
Hi,
you could supplement carbon in the form of liquid carbon. This way no extra equipment and it will be relatively cost effective on a smaller tank. That way its high tech, but little outlay cost wise or space wise :) Plants will always benefit from a carbon source, high or low light, and it could increase your species list a bit. Some such as vallisinera dont like liquid carbon, but most do well. Several of our sponsors sell their own brand liquid carbon at very competative prices so worth checking them out if you decide this may be for you :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi,
you could supplement carbon in the form of liquid carbon. This way no extra equipment and it will be relatively cost effective on a smaller tank. That way its high tech, but little outlay cost wise or space wise :) Plants will always benefit from a carbon source, high or low light, and it could increase your species list a bit. Some such as vallisinera dont like liquid carbon, but most do well. Several of our sponsors sell their own brand liquid carbon at very competative prices so worth checking them out if you decide this may be for you :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi ady I used easy carbo on my old set up along with micro and macro fertilisers from aquarium plant food. I think with this kind of tank my best bet is something similar but with a better substrate last time I just used silica sand. And then look into upgrading in the future when I have space for a cabinet.

Back