• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Keeping Tropica 1-2-Grow pot for a longer period of time

ltsai

Hi,

I have just bought a pot of Tropica 1-2-Grow from my local LFS but I'm not ready to plant it since I'm using the dry start method.

Can it be kept in the pot for long under some sunlight and do I need to water it?

Or should I just plant the Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' ?

Thanks!

Just a single pot of Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'. It is still in the pot with the gel at the bottom.

Well, honestly I don't know. This is my first time doing DSM and it was started a week ago.

I was hoping my hair grass will start to carpet soon but it hasn't.

Maybe a few weeks to a month or two?

Unless someone has a really good answer for you before then I can promise I can answer this tomorrow. Sorry for being vague.
Just don't leave them in direct Malaysian sunlight :)

Hi,

Tropica 1-2-Grow plants will last for months in the fridge. :)

Your hairgrass will be establishing roots first. It should start carpeting in another couple of weeks.
I was 99% sure that it did but never said just incase I was wrong and looked like a complete noob... I had that same plant for 1 month in the fridge along with a few others :)

Peace out

Hi,

Tropica 1-2-Grow plants will last for months in the fridge. :)

Your hairgrass will be establishing roots first. It should start carpeting in another couple of weeks.
how does this work, my fridge is dark......or does the cold stall the need for growth? Ive been told this before but want to know how/why :geek:

Low temperatures should stunt plant growth for sure.

I am also dry-starting and I also have a 1-2 grow pot of A. reineckii mini. I just planted it in the tank along with the other plants. Plants in this 1-2 grow thing come in their emersed form so it's just dry-starting as all the other ;) No big deal.

Thanks for all the reply.

Should I just plant it straight away since there is no harm? I would rather keep it out of the fridge since the fridge belongs to the missus's. :)

Fridge is good advice but not all range will stay months healthy. It depends greatly on variety. Reineckii mini will hovewer stay long time in fridge as well as out in cool ambient light place with same sucsess.

The tissue culture plants do need light. In a cool place with a light cycle they will last months. I've seen LFS's keep them in dark fridges and they die and the plants rot within a few months.

The Eleocharis 'mini' actually DON'T like to be stored in dark fridge for several weeks. By the way, note, that it will also grow taller above water, than under !!! (will look exactly like the parvula).

So I flooded my tank and took out the Alternanthera mini from the fridge after 2-3 weeks.

The leaves looked pale and curled up. Washed and planted it.

I have a bad feeling that they will all die off.

I'm pretty sure, you're gonna be surprised how much Alt. mini can actually be mistreated - and still rise to establish growth, given "tender love and caring". I've had them look exactly like that, and growing in nicely!
Mick.

Back