• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recharging Purigen

Ross

I have 350 ml of Purigen 250ml in my Eheim 2073 and a 100 ML of it in my JBL external and I was wondering if its safe to recharge it with bleach as recommended?Because the beads are starting to go black and could do with being recharged but obliviously I dont not want to do it if its not safe.I would give a good soak in a strong mix dechlorinator after the 24 hours in bleach and try to make sure that all traces of bleach is removed but I still have that doubt in my mind that there would be a tiny amount of bleach left.

I have done this several times, now. What I have found is that it takes considerably longer than 24 hours to recharge it.

Dave.

What sort of bleach can be used.

I've just been to Sainsbury's and they only have fancy stuff, scented, thick etc Can anyone recommend a UK brand that is known to work?

Just put in dechlorinator for 24 hours and rinse well. Don't forget to rub since the inner part may still contain some bleach.

It is possible that the Purigen will smell "fishy" afterwards depending on the dechlorinator used.

Only use thin bleach, the thick stuff ruins the purigen :)

Remember if your using a dechorinator never to use one that has chloro amines in it. It will bind to the purigen and turn it permanently toxic.

Evidently Seachem have changed their advice to say you don't need to wash it in decholonator :S just keep rinsing it until the smell of bleach goes.:crazy:

Remember if your using a dechorinator never to use one that has chloro amines in it. It will bind to the purigen and turn it permanently toxic.
Wrong. :rolleyes: Chloramines and chlorine are used to "chlorinate" water. It is dechlorinators with slime coat that cannot be used in water with purigen. So Seachem Prime is OK, Tetra AquaSafe is not.

Wrong. :rolleyes: Chloramines and chlorine are used to "chlorinate" water. It is dechlorinators with slime coat that cannot be used in water with purigen. So Seachem Prime is OK, Tetra AquaSafe is not.

Sorry, I meant to say water conditioners that are amine based will react with the purigen to create chloroamines.

Gents I did watch this thread and then meant to respond but got waylaid with other things.
Questions/Clarifications:-
  • I got my first Purigen 6 months ago I believe, and have been using Tetra Aquasafe to dechlorinate the water with every water change. Can you confirm that the normal water changes with Aquasafe will have rendered the Purigen useless?
  • I did my first recharge a month ago and used a Aquasafe/water mix to eliminate any remaining bleach. Has this also rendered the Purigen useless?

In summary
Is my first Purigen batch beyond rescue?
Do I need to change my chlorinator?
Do I need to buy new Purigen?

Thanks for any assistance.
Cheers
R

Two posts above.
I've used prime after bleaching. Washed everyday under water for 5 days and put it back in on my next WC.

Back