• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropica aquacube

fish fodder

Hi,
I have one of the above tanks and I want to give it a facelift, it's 8liters and lighting is 20w (halogen I think) according to the packet in which the bulbs came in it's 240 lumens.... This means absolutely nothing to me but hope it will to some of you guys. Now the question is can I successfully keep plant sp like glossostigma, pogostemen helferi and HC with this lighting and just using easy carbo and profito? Many thanks in advance

You definately won't have a problem with light levels!!:lol: That's 2.5 watts per litre. You may find it difficult though with giving the plants enough fertilization. You would probably end up with yellow leaves. I think you would have to find a really small co2 kit with a high BPS rate to keep up with that light. You would have to keep the light quite far away from the tank.
Cheers

It's about 5-6" above the tank, can't move it further as it's a fixed unit. I have a dennerle nano co2 kit but the price of refills are extortionate

Fair enough, you could probably just pull it off. I agree with you mate sometimes prices are pretty ridiculous! Alternatively, you could try an emmersed set up. I understand that it might not be to your taste but then you wouldn't have to worry about ferts and CO2. Just an idea...:)

I do like the idea of an emmersed set up.... Any pointers?
Just make sure that you keep the tank covered, cling film is an option. Spray it once or twice a day to keep it moist. However, some plants don't do too well with emersed set ups. You might want to check out the emmersed part of the forum to find out more.
Cheers

Thank you for the link..... I think I will go with something along those lines but have it emersed

Not yet..... Birthday is coming up soon ;).... I will have HC, hair grass, P. helferi and maybe glosso.

I was thinking using columbo flora base with mini lanscape (classic)..... Any other suggestions for hardscape?

I think it would be good to have a large stone in the centre (but not too large) with some small peices half-buried in the substrate. Then have HC at the front, a few plants of P. Helferi and some taller hairgrass at the back. Bearing in mind, though, that all of these plant species are carpeting ones and will need pretty frequent pruning.:)
Cheers

W8u6KKC.jpg

Ok, sorry about the photo and link to it. I was just trying out the imgur thingy direct from my phone. So I can now post pics without taptalk... Yay!

I love these tanks & grabbed one on eBay for a bargain. I've had it in storage for months but after a recent move the mrs let me set it up in the utility room.

Not an ideal place but I'm hoping it will impress her enough once it's grown in. Currently going DSM on mine & all going well pics will follow when I'm feeling brave.

Watching yours with interest

I love these tanks & grabbed one on eBay for a bargain. I've had it in storage for months but after a recent move the mrs let me set it up in the utility room.

Not an ideal place but I'm hoping it will impress her enough once it's grown in. Currently going DSM on mine & all going well pics will follow when I'm feeling brave.

Watching yours with interest

The photo was just a test lol, in no way am I showing that off :)

Back