• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HC Propergator Journal into DSM

Hi all
Do pesticides have a negative effect on shrimps if the treated plants ever get submersed again?
Try just immersing them, after that soapy water would be safest, but a non-systemic insecticide should be safest, as it isn't taken in by the plant. A pyrethroid insecticide would be the normal choice, but these are very toxic to crustaceans, so you would have to make sure it was all washed off.

Drosera doesn't respond very well to insecticides, so it might be worth looking at carnivorous plant sites to see what they suggest.

You can use live greenfly for fish food, fish like Killis and Tetras love them. When I was a kid it was our "secret method" of keeping sticklebacks alive.

cheers Darrel

Hi all

Try just immersing them, after that soapy water would be safest, but a non-systemic insecticide should be safest, as it isn't taken in by the plant. A pyrethroid insecticide would be the normal choice, but these are very toxic to crustaceans, so you would have to make sure it was all washed off.

Drosera doesn't respond very well to insecticides, so it might be worth looking at carnivorous plant sites to see what they suggest.

You can use live greenfly for fish food, fish like Killis and Tetras love them. When I was a kid it was our "secret method" of keeping sticklebacks alive.

cheers Darrel
On a lot of the cp forums a weak mix of general pesticide is suggested so I went with that option. Most of my plants are emersed so I had to make sure they didn't do much damage fast. I filled up my aqua one 850 (160l) tank with most of my hygrophila salicifolia but I had no space left for anything else except a bit of hydrocotyle so I had to go for the chemical way :(

I remember growing hc on my window sil pretty easy to grow just in my opinion need to give some time before it start s to spread
Keep soil wet ( I used regular miricle grow potting soil )

Great plant !

Back