• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dragon Stone - 10kg/20kg

Hi All,

The aquarium stores in my area are pretty poor for aquascaping equipment and materials. Getting decent substrate and rock is near on impossible.

I have found good types of rock for sale online, one of which is dragon stone which has caught my eye. The issue with buying online is you dont know what you are getting. They are advertised as 10kg and 20kg boxes. I have no idea how much that is in terms of filling your tank for an Iwagumi.

I will be scaping a 60x45x30 (Same tank as George Farmer's current work)

Anyone know whether 10kg is enough?

Im also guessing that I will have to ask for a varied range of heights and sizes :-/

It depends what sort of scape you have in mind, and how fussy you are. 10kg will just do it for an "average" scape, but if you're intending to either do a mostly hardscape scape, or are fussy about picking out particular stones, you'll be better off getting 20kg.

Where are you based?

I have just found a picture on google of an example of a 10kg box with a ruler next to it and it appears you dont get very big pieces which will be no good. I was hoping to have around 5-7 Stones, one of which about 20cm tall and the rest getting smaller. I dont think I'll trust online now.

Im in Kent (around maidstone area), The stores I have found annoyingly mix their rocks which are covered in dust so you cant tell what is what. Im thinking about traveling to Maidenhead Aquatics in Sevenoaks, they are usually one of the best for rocks.

zooplus.de wouldnt ship stones to the UK when I ordered my filter.

if its andy aquatics that youve seen the 10kg and 20kg stones in then it will be varied in the box. the 10Kg is used to be made by splitting a 20kg so its the same stones. I used a 20Kg and some existing to do my 90cm in the avatar pic. probably about 30Kg in total.

maybe theyve changed procedures then. hopefully they have

When I ordered mine the order stalled for two days then they sent me a mail saying they were refunding the stone amount and they had despatched the filter :( maybe they were just out of stock!

maybe theyve changed procedures then. hopefully they have

When I ordered mine the order stalled for two days then they sent me a mail saying they were refunding the stone amount and they had despatched the filter :( maybe they were just out of stock!

Ok, I got a confirmation via e-mail but lets see what happens. I'll let you know but considering delivery is free, it's quite cheap and I hope they do send out stones :)

i too have been frustrated by the lack of any decent aquascaping hard landscape materials in my neck of the woods (essex). have got fed up of driving around wasting petrol and time attempting to find something halfway decent for my new project .
however , i ordered 22kg of dragonstone from the zooplus uk site a couple of days ago and have now received a confirmation email saying it's now in the hands of dhl and on its way too me :).
it looks positive and hopefully i should get a good mix of sized stones if the website is to be beleived plus they have it at a really good price at the moment ..i'll let you all know how it arrives !

Call richard at AquaEssentials, always very helpful and stocks Dragon stone.
I just got another 10kg of Maple Leaf which is awesome, a couple of pieces 25cm+ and you get loads as it weighs very little... 10kg = 15+ stones including the larger ones.

Well living in London you would have thought it would be easy for us but nope, nothing decent around either!! :(
You ever tried ordering 20kg off ebay? I say that because i must of ordered over 120kg since xmas and every box i get through never disappoints me. Get some great bits. I know you can't Choose but its usually pretty good Paulo. It needs scrub though!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Couple of quick pics stu, its in my new shrimp tank as it doesnt effect params.
Sorry for stealing thread.

IMG_3768_zps75b8ac50.jpg

IMG_3769_zps2897213d.jpg

Back