• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

will shrimp kill each other if hungry enough?

Haha, I had just listed mine on ebay yesterday so pulled it today!

Oh and sorry to say this, but the Lampeye will eat the shrimplets. Maybe rehome the fish?

Tough decisions ahead......

I thought about taking them out but they are a mare to catch! I'd end up pulling lots of plants up and disturbing substrate. The leaf litter and pelia is under the redmoor root and the fish don't go under there. You can see it on my journal 54l'the nook'

Ah, but no recent photo so imagine the cave bit with lots of leaves with pelia round it. Not kidding, don't think I could catch the lampeyes if I tried, they are tiny and go to ground and hide. Will think on it....

Am I right in thinking I don't want my gh going over 6? Tested the tank tds and gh today and its at 153 and 7. Did a bit of testing and found that a tds of 147 gives me a gh of 6 so I'm going to bring the tank tds to 147 over next few days.

Gave the shrimp an un expected treat today. Had taken the canister filter off the pipes to change the floss and add more ceramic noodles. Normaly I put the canister back on full because the fluval tubing releases lots of trapped mulm(they are ribbed) if I put it on empty. Today I forgot and thought 'oh crap' as lots of stuff came flying out the spraybar. The shrimp were very happy tho and started eating what they could get hold of! It had never occured to me that they might like it. I may do this everytime I do maintenance on the filter. It has all cleared now and the shrimp are on the mesh intake clearing any debris.

Wow, your on a roll!! Told you so about the heartache to joy of shrimp keeping :)

Amazing what a couple of small changes can do to the shrimp.

Seriously, though if your using tap water for changes get some buckets and run some off now. Give it time to age etc, your shrimplets will be better for it. And when they arrive, knock back your changes completely for a month whilst they get past the early days. Use top up water only. Oh, and if you don't have any, get some baby shrimp food. Once born they hardly move so you want to make sure they have some food source that's finding them. It's like dust, and when mixed with tank water it finds it will find its way to the babies.

Ok, I'll get on it. Started moving the lampeyes, 8 out 5 left and the 8 in the nano look a lot happier than the 5 left in big tank! Had been looking at genchems baby shrimp food so will order in.

My latest CRS only set up uses ADA.
I allowed it to mature for 5wks before adding livestock.
I run at PH 6.5. TDS 130. GH 5. Temp 21.5..
Tank has plenty of Leaves, bark, cones, and a banana leaf, and the shrimps relish them.
About every 4 days i feed a very small amount of Biomax.. Mainly to bring shrimps to the front for viewing, and a head count.

From a personal point, never been happy with CO2, in a shrimp only set up, when trying to raise young. I know others use it without problems.
I just feed my numerous moss on Tropica weekly.

Incidentally, always done weekly 20% water change, prepared to the Tank parameters.
Together with floating plants, Im convinced this helps me run with a very low Nitrate.

Back