• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The one in the corner <><

lil-lynx

Hello , this is where i'll be learning and making mistakes on this nano, first ever nano and first time keeping shrimps so bare with me please !

The nano will be stocked with 5 pretty high cherry shrimp and 5 low Crystal red shrimps. Or just Crystal red shrimps maybe to much for a small tank
Fish im not sure of , thinking 5 rummynose tetra , or a pair of clown killifish

Tank - Superfish IQ13 275 x 223 x 295mm (l x w x h) (£10 couldn't say no ! )
Lighting - 1 meter strip of high density LEDs cut to fix around 4 rows on the lid
Filter - small 200/lph power head, with the sponge and carbon built in the back
Substrate - First problem shall I use akadama or cheap argos play sand ?
Plants - Fissidens , Riccia , pellia , need to pick some steams and midgrounds any ideas ?
Co2 - DIY, using a nano glass in tank diffuser
Ferts - Was thinking liquid EI but not sure on the copper contents. . . ?

Was thinking Indian leaves to soften the water and help the shrimp , not sure on what food to use for them ?!?!?!

The substrate in the photo is not what im looking for , not looking to mix them and the light is only a desk light at the moment so very yellow / orange. Waiting for the LEDs.

20130317_1722451_zps42aa3e1a.jpg

Um, won't the killifish eat the shrimp? Not sure about the rummynose tetra either...

Clown killi's might be ok but they jump and will hunt shrimp, rummynose wont be happy in a tank that size as they are very active fish and need swimming room. Really tanks this size are very limited with fish... have a look at Boraras brigittae which work quite well with shrimp.
Your would also be wise to look at liquid carbons over DIY which is notoriously inconsistant.

Right il look at dosing liquid carbon instead of DIY,l.
For the substrate iv got a choice of argos play sand , akadama and tesco cat litter can anybody help ?
Also would it be worth adding Indian leaves to soften the water and for general health ?

I'm not sure that the Capatta leaves alter the hardness of the water but they can lower ph a bit and are good for the shrimps health. There is a very good ebay seller that does capatta leaves. They also do mulberry leaves and my shrimp love them. They sell pellet shrimp food too. Winzeta something, just search crystal shrimp. You can also get substrates specially for shrimp such as Ebi gold but then you would find all of this info on the inverts forum along with a very good CRS article that tells all the parameters that they need. It all depends on your water chemistry what you will need to use.

I'm not sure that the Capatta leaves alter the hardness of the water but they can lower ph a bit and are good for the shrimps health. There is a very good ebay seller that does capatta leaves. They also do mulberry leaves and my shrimp love them. They sell pellet shrimp food too. Winzeta something, just search crystal shrimp. You can also get substrates specially for shrimp such as Ebi gold but then you would find all of this info on the inverts forum along with a very good CRS article that tells all the parameters that they need. It all depends on your water chemistry what you will need to use.

Ive got a load of catappa leaves to shift. Got 3 boxes of 10 at £3.50 if anyone wants any.
The best quality you can buy :)

Oneeee pounnddd fiiiiiiish.

Right the fish iv chosen are a pair of scarlet badis, they seem small enough , calm and not aggressive. They are also very pretty lil fish.

Iv also gone for Akadama as the substrate , so let the cleaning begin :(

Ahhh Iain you burst my bubble !

Right layout time

20130318_1841251_zps62f6512f.jpg

20130318_1842181_zpsfa74e7fb.jpg

20130318_1843301_zpsd744bd9e.jpg

Right im personally thinking the first one but need some help !
The substrate will slope, highest point back right with the lowest bottom left of the tank.

Right iv gone for the first photo , just waiting for the water to clear :)

Update !

Water parameters as tested tonight:
Ammonia - 0.50ppm (MG/L)
Nitrate 40ppm (MG/L)
Nitrite 0.50ppm (MG/L)

Lighting is now 4 strips of white LEDs , with a switch for 2 on or 4 on, and also a 11w g23 bulb if needed (doubt it)
Plants are now:
Hemlanthus Callitrichoides (No idea how it will do)
Cryptocoryne Bullosa
Lugwigia Arcuata

Doesing EI Marco and mircos with DIY co2 with around 1 bubble per 2 seconds.

Im in need of some liquid carbon but doesing a small 15l tank is a problem :mad:
Easy Lifecarbo - 1ML per 50L
Neutro Co2 - 1ML per 50L
Seachem Flourish Excel - 5ML per 200L

20130324_1957191_zps6745bf1f.jpg

20130324_1956451_zps26fbf1e7.jpg
20130324_1825201_zpsd5260794.jpg

Comments welcome :D

Back