• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PM's Low-Tech ADA Mini M (Rescape on Page 2)

Yes the sand is really nice :) If I was using CO2 it would definitely be the UP Atomizer for me. But I'm not a fan of hi-tech, too much maintenance. Good luck!

I agree UPs are good at diffusing, but need regular maintenance. Mine hangs freely as well, so there is a little risk of it popping off.
Plus sometimes, i quite like the bubbles in a corner, its nice to watch . Rather than it being 'misty' in the tank.

Cheers,

Lampeyes jump like maniacs! I lost at least 10 before putting a perspex lid on my tank. I had to cut round all the pipes as closely as possible as any little gap and they are gone. They jump when startled and also when excited at feeding time. I've been told they will eat baby shrimp as I have berried crs at the mo but their mouths are so ridiculously small and they are a nightmare to catch so going to give them benefit of the doubt. Good luck.

Your tanks really nice the ADA tanks look so sweet it's a shame about the price tag once you start looking into the bigger ones! Have you settled on the snow ball shrimp for he tank or have you not decided yet?

Hi and thanks! They are pricey but the 60P is a bit of a bargain (for the size at least) at about 150. Do!Aqua are much cheaper and the same apart from the fact that they use normal float glass which isn't as clear as the ADA.

Yes I am set on Snowball shrimp, really can't wait but I need the weather to warm up much more before I can order. I'm still not sure whether to get snails or ottos or if anyone has another suggestion for glass cleaning inhabitants I'm all ears!

I have been considering getting new hardscape materials but I can't find any wood I like - been through everything on TGM :-/

Hi and thanks! They are pricey but the 60P is a bit of a bargain (for the size at least) at about 150. Do!Aqua are much cheaper and the same apart from the fact that they use normal float glass which isn't as clear as the ADA.

Yes I am set on Snowball shrimp, really can't wait but I need the weather to warm up much more before I can order. I'm still not sure whether to get snails or ottos or if anyone has another suggestion for glass cleaning inhabitants I'm all ears!

I have been considering getting new hardscape materials but I can't find any wood I like - been through everything on TGM :-/

I'm currently in the planning stages of a new freshwater tank having sold up about a 18 months ago now to try my hand at saltwater. And I'm looking at something around 60-100 litres in size and I can't decide between a plain glass tank then adding my own components or a jewel tank and taking the lid off for a similar look. 150 is not to bad I guess did you buy from the green machine?

The snowball shrimp look cool my only experience with shrimp was my old cherry shrimp tank but I don't think they are really in the same league there. As for your CUC I've not kept tropical for a while but when I did I had a group of ottos which I guess did a decent job, I hardly saw them but there was no algae either so they must have been busy when I wasn't around. For your size tank though I'd be tempted to go for a few snails so that I had more room for some kind of micro fish..

That is exactly how I started, with a Juwel Rekord 60 (54L). Then I took the hood off and added T5 lighting and CO2, then removed the internal filter and added an external.

I massively urge you not to go this way, there are several reasons not to. Firstly, it's a lot more work and faffing about, then if you look at it all, it really is not cost effective as you are buying a load of stuff that you won't actually use in the end. Also a very important point is that the dimensions of these type of tanks often don't work very well as planted aquariums I found. For example the Rekord 60 is 60x30x30cm. With the substrate that really is not enough space for stems at the back IMO, a 60cm tank should be taller. The ADA tanks or similar are perfect dimensions in each size, they are great. Also the square cut glass is much nicer and if you do go ADA, really there is nothing better in terms of build quality and glass clearness. And not to mention that black silicone on the Juwels, yuck! Ultimately it's a personal choice but I find these tanks to be the best for planted aquariums, look the best, and be easily adaptable to many arrangements in terms of planting AND hardware setup. Can't recommend them strongly enough.

Snowballs are the same as cherry shrimp, just bred for a different colour. I kept Sakuras (selectively bred cherries, for brighter red) and they were great. Yes I bought the tank from TGM. You make a good point about getting snails and allowing more room for other micro fish. I have kept ottos before in my 60cm, and they do sometimes swim incredibly fast, so perhaps this tank is too small for them to be happy. Also I think they like to be kept in a least a pair if not a group.

Paul

I can think of precisely one fish (Indostomus) that won't eat baby shrimp given the chance... and even then I'm not 100% sure. Which is not to say you can't have a thriving shimp colony with lots of fish, you just need to give the nippers plenty of places to hide.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply its much appreciated and sorry for hijacking your thread a little bit too, I see what you mean about paying for the equipment and then getting rid of most of it. I was also taking into consideration cost as the ADA tanks can get quite expensive so I might look into similar design but not ADA. My tank would also be in my room and on a chest of draws so there isn't much room if I wanted an external filter and I thought putting an internal or HOB might ruin the clean look (I think your tank pulls it off well because its smaller) anyway Ill have a long think and stop derailing your thread.

Ahh right I didn't know that I see there' are two main types of shrimp kept in the hobby and here are a lot more colour variations than I was aware of last time which is really good too see and defiantly something I'd be interested in learning more about. I think people recommend groups of 6 for ottos to get the best out of them but don't under estimate snails they are algae and detritus eating machines

Why don't you look at the NA stuff from Portugal, very like ADA. look at freshwatershrimps forum.

Hi all, update:

8571765943_f35db50687_b.jpg

So I couldn't bare to look at the original layout, so I bought some bolbitis and mini java from TGM along with some ADA Yamaya stones and Redmoor wood. The big bare stone on top is holding the redmoor down so you can't see all the anubia, it's so buoyant it pretty much sits on top of the water surface, rather than just below it.

I did the rescape yesterday and today the water is cloudy, bacterial bloom? The water was crystal clear after the rescape, and obviously with the planting, there was no substrate moving and no dirt in the tank at all. Filter has been cycling for 6 weeks now. Also the Pelia was looking okay two days ago but appears to have decided to die in about 48 hours. To be honest all the plants look a bit worse for ware right now, even the ones I got yesterday, which I don't find acceptable, but that's another story!

Help?

Hi, did you soak the wood for a while and/or give it a boil? If not, that would explain the cloudyness. You will probably get quite alot of white fungus too.

Back