• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

RCS Losses after Filter Change!

Maybe just weren't used to the flow and like you say, got too close to the intake. Wonder if where they were huddled together was where the flow is at it slowest.

Only time will tell, I'll pop down tomorrow and do another water change. They definitely liven up and start grazing again after one. Hopefully over the next couple of days this filter will have populated enough and the shrimp will feel the benefit of some better filtration and a slightly higher water volume.

More losses today. Just did another WC. Looking a bit empty in there now. Strange thing is the majority or survivors seem to be babies. There are even some little slither of ones on the glass that look like they were very recently born.

What a nightmare. Hope you manage to save some. Not sure what to suggest other than what you are doing. Can you replace the filter media with some other mature media?

What water are you changing it with? tap or ro/distilled.

Going by the pics, the dead bodies have caused an ammonia spike. Have you put new carbon in since the genocide?

Tetra AquaSafe has stuff in it that binds to stuff (metals, nitrites) and detoxifies it - might be worth chucking some of that in as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Only filter material I have is in my other tank but now the new filter has been running for five days it may be worth just fighting on. Not sure if breaking it down at this point would help. It must getting there by now. I'm using Tap water and warming it up with water from the kettle. Been using king British dechlorinator not sure if that has the same properties has aqua safe but it always comes to use so will get some tomorrow. Nothing lost. I think your right regarding the deaths and ammonia spike. Just not sure what started the ball rolling. Perhaps dead shrimp in the inlet. Hope I manage to save some. Doesn't take many to get going again. I spent a fair bit of time siphoning out bodies today so there should be little else making the water bad. Also filtering through a carbon sponge as seen in the pic.

Was still a couple dead today but that's not surprising as there's not that many left. Did an other water change. One thing I noticed was the temperature was at 22 degree when I first went in as there is no central heating just a heater. Knowing from experience its freezing in there without the heater on and when I left tonight it was more 25. Don't think that would be an issue or surely that would have raised its head before. Another thing I've realised is just how many shrimp there was in there. I would say I've pulled 40 or so out and there must be 15/20 still in there! That's a lot of shrimp in 5 gallon. You rarely see them all out together. Perhaps I was already running on the edge and disturbing the filter combined with the initial dead ones trapped by the inlet has been enough to tip the scales.
Hopefully with less inhabitants, some water changes and the bigger filter starting to mature I can pill this back round.

Sounds like its been an ammonia spike that's ended them pal. When I changed my filter in this tank I had an ever so slight spike in ammonia. That may be all it takes to kill shrimp.

Lessons for the future is to keep numbers down. Problem is they breed that prolific by the time some of the adults get to a reasonable size to pass on you already have too many juveniles. Don't really want to sell them on unless they're a good size and you need them to mature and colour up to see which are the best shrimp to keep.
I saw one I put in my big tank this morning that must have survived the kribs and found myself saying to it "Believe me mate you're better off where you are " :)

Sounds like a conundrum pal. You've got a very lucky shrimp in your big tank. Even managing to survive being a meal for the Kribs.

Well, whenever you have the population growing and some are ready, I will take some from you Neil.

No problem if things settle down over the next week it should be Ok. If I can see 20 its more likely there's 40. As long as I have enough to keep the colony going won't do any harm to have a clear out.

No sign of any major losses today now the lights have gone on. Majority still seem to be hanging about on the uppermost plant leaves as oppose to walking about on the substrate. Wondering whether to do another WC or maybe give them a bit of piece and do the change tomorrow.

Things seem to be calming down here. No losses today I can see anyway. I even give them a little bit of food to cheer them up! It's been over a week. Because I dropped the food in I got most of them into one corner and counted at least 20. Lot's of babies about so it shouldn't take long to build up numbers.

Massive lesson learnt! Shrimp are like icebergs, you can only see a third of them at one time :) staggered at how many must have been in there. Next time I decide to change filters I need to have them both running for a bit before totally taking out the old one.

Haha. Wonder how many were actually in there. Not taking long to build back up again. So whatever is was is long gone :)

Seems to have affected all the biggest shrimp. The ones 10mm and under seem to have survived the best but to be honest who knows how many are actually in there. Once things are settled I'm going to give the tank a good clip out so I see what#s going on. Cat litter gravel doesn't help either. It's pretty much the same colour as the shrimp.

No problem, sooner rather than later this time eh.

Back