• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Female fishkeepers and aquascapers...

NA-Fan

Hello all,

Is it me or are there only a tiny fraction of female hobbyists?

I wonder why this is and if there's anything we can do to address this imbalance!

I can't think of any female well-known aquascapers. Are there any?

How many female Ukaps members do we have?

Thanks,
Laura (female) :)

Hello Laura,

Im not being sexist or anything (famous last words!) but this hobby is more of a 'getting your hands dirty' kind of thing than many other hobbys or pet keeping.

In my view women, although hard working! (Save!) Don't particularly like digging around in Gravel or soil with them nice manicured nails :lol:

Talking from experience, my girlfriend loves (or probably has had to come to love..) Fish and shrimp alike, as soon as i take one OUT of the water, she ends up stuck to the opposite wall of the room. Particularly when I have the Amano shrimp crawling across my arm :D

I know what you mean though, would be nice to see. Bet theres lots with the artistic potential to make fantastic aquascapes.. Even though they'll probably need a little help with the hardware :geek:

Hello Laura,

Im not being sexist or anything (famous last words!) but this hobby is more of a 'getting your hands dirty' kind of thing than many other hobbys or pet keeping.

In my view women, although hard working! (Save!) Don't particularly like digging around in Gravel or soil with them nice manicured nails :lol:

:eek: I hope you've got a tin hat on Nath :lol:

I have noticed in the last couple of years that there are definitely more females buying aquatic products and fish in shops. Before then I found it quite uncommon to see women in aquatic places. Some of the other forums I browse seem to have quite a few female members.

There are a few female aquarists nowadays, but as Nat says, its more the sort of hobby that appeals to males. Thats neither a good or a bad thing in my mind. People must choose their hobby as they see fit. I certainly dont see it as something that we "need to address the balance" about though. It is what it is. :)

I'm handing this one over to my girlfriend for a laugh!

"Dear Macho Nathaniel and co, I am amazed to read some of the comments. No wonder there isn't any girls here, if it's to be patronized by wannabee Takashi Amanos! Many girls are into the hobby, we just have a LIFE and don't spend hours on the UKAPS forum trying to get advice and solve issues about our tanks that can be fixed by a simple google search...

I consider myself as a girly-girl who likes to have my nails manicured and YET I'm not afraid to put them in the water or mud. Women also go out and walk in the forest and other muddy environments nowadays without being afraid to have some mud on their high heels... We are in 2013 with women doing what you would classify as 'manly jobs'. In other words, you guys need to see the bigger picture and stop limiting the fishing hobby to the blogging about fish hobby.

One thing you are right about is that we definitely are creative and maybe here lies the pressure on you guys. Do not dare us to take over, you might regret it and see how we kick ass!

To all the girls on here, don't put up with this attitude as it surely limits this forum to a narrow-minded backward thinking subset of our great aquascaping hobby!!

Many thanks,
Myriam - aka Nature girl"

Ahem.I'm female(at least I was last time I looked) But then I've always worked with animals one way or another and had a dog grooming salon before I had my daughter. You either like getting your hands dirty or not and have an interest in nature/life or(sadly) not. Women quite often make me cringe but then alot of men are quite useless too.
To be honest I don't think gender necessarily needs to be brought up on the forum and your gender doesn't need to define you. I've no idea of the gender of many people I 've conversed with on this site, I'm just happy to meet some like minded folk who aren't limited to talking about soaps, celebrities and hair:) I like cars too....

I think Myriam got the wrong end of the stick, as I'm definitely all for it.

But, if we didn't talk about issues on UKAPS, there wouldn't be much on google ;)

There is a lot of useless men, your right there, and hats off to the women who push them out the way to get dirty :lol:

Ahem.I'm female(at least I was last time I looked) But then I've always worked with animals one way or another and had a dog grooming salon before I had my daughter. You either like getting your hands dirty or not and have an interest in nature/life or(sadly) not. Women quite often make me cringe but then alot of men are quite useless too.
To be honest I don't think gender necessarily needs to be brought up on the forum and your gender doesn't need to define you. I've no idea of the gender of many people I 've conversed with on this site, I'm just happy to meet some like minded folk who aren't limited to talking about soaps, celebrities and hair:) I like cars too....

And I think your aquascapes are great! Better than some of the boys!

Who knows what gender we are on forum other that tecky people or maybe the mods? Some people probably on here don't have a tank :) I Iknow of quite a few shops that ladies run and keep tanks at home and breed fish.. My wife has a good eye for the scaping and i always encourage her imput into our fish tank that why I try to call it ours rather than my.:). Women can multi task and probably have less confessions for the confession thread. They can probably do a water change go of to do the hovering and remember they are siphoning the tank unlike me.:).

They can probably do a water change go of to do the hovering and remember they are siphoning the tank unlike me.:).

Nope...last weekend I forgot, I had 1/3 or tank water left when I remembered...oops!

New female member here and this is my first post :)
I have been in the hobby now for 30 years and at one point had a fish hut with around 25 tanks.
I used to love going out there and sitting watching the fish for hours, tinkering about keeping everything ship shape, managed to breed Angels, hoplos, cories, bristle nose and a few types of rainbows.
Now I am looking forward to the challenge of a proper planted tank as I have never tried it yet.
Wish me luck lol !

Any post that starts With" I'm not xx xx But" is never going to go well :) don't know how it stacks up but the vast majority of science programs I've watched today have had some attractive girly looking women swimming with sharks and wandering around in swamps. I don't think I know many women who have hobbies generally, if I think of most people in my bubble as a cross section I van think of something most men do in there spare time, can't really think of anything the women do. Most women I know just chill when they're not busy. I think kids has a lot to do with it. Blokes seem to want to do something in their spare time usually.

New female member here and this is my first post :)
I have been in the hobby now for 30 years and at one point had a fish hut with around 25 tanks.
I used to love going out there and sitting watching the fish for hours, tinkering about keeping everything ship shape, managed to breed Angels, hoplos, cories, bristle nose and a few types of rainbows.
Now I am looking forward to the challenge of a proper planted tank as I have never tried it yet.
Wish me luck lol !
Welcome mate, if you need any help with technical stuff or parking the car nath will be only happy to help.

attractive girly looking women swimming with sharks and wandering around in swamps.
I take it the effect would have been different if they had been hairy knuckle draggers of a female sort? I can't say anything, I like my eyecandy too. Bear Grylls isn't too shabby...

I take it the effect would have been different if they had been hairy knuckle draggers of a female sort?
Just pointing out that women can like to get dirty and involved in that sort of thing and still be "eye candy" in fact, some of the presenters were more attractive to me because I could have talked to them forever :D Big fan of bear myself but not for your reasons ;) I love his positive attitude and outlook on life that never seems to falter.
I'm probably just as guilty of generalising as anyone here, using my circle of people has a ref point. If I was say studying biology at Uni then I guess I would have a different outlook where most women I knew would rather be down and dirty and my male mates weren't. Just because a women likes keeping fish doesn't always mean they don't like shopping for clothes and getting their nails done. Am I digging a deeper hole here :D
On balance I just don't think a lot of women have hobbies and if they do they tend to be something more practical like fitness training or sports. Men are more selfish and tend to have their thing that they do just to make that mundane life a little bit more interesting.
I am of the old skool unfortunately and firmly believe that men and women ARE different, always have been and always will be and that's a good thing IMO. I don't however think that either are less capable of anything, everything comes down to individuality. At my place I have office staff that if a pallet of plasterboards turned up which are 35kg each I wouldn't expect them to start hand balling them into the unit. I also have a friends son working with me with learning difficulties who does a couple of days a week for me and a couple for his dads building firm, he gets paid the same as everyone else but I wouldn't expect to leave him on site and finish a job of for me. Having said that he is the most hard working man (16y.o) I have and never complains. If there was true equality they would be running them boards in and my man would be getting dropped of at jobs and would expect them finished when I got back. On the other hand there is also my missus who burns away my credit card on clothes I can't afford for her and my daughter and pink things who would hand ball them plaster boards into my lock up just to prove a point. I once came home from working away to find she had stripped the wall paper off the stairwell using only a pair of steps and a plank :eek: We're all different and that's what makes us the same. One Love!
I think that it distracts from the OP which was.....
I wonder why this is and if there's anything we can do to address this imbalance!

I can't think of any female well-known aquascapers. Are there any?

The answer to that I don't know, I can't think of any reasons there would be in imbalance. Perhaps the more women get into it the more will. I can't think of many well known well known scapers either probably for the reason above. Hopefully that will change. Maybe we should start up a dating section in the board for like minded people:D You would have to have two tanks though, my missus has no interest in mine but if she did she best stay away from it.
The great philosopher Al Murray has a great outlook on it, "women are special in so many ways and much better at everything they do than men, they are Angels, which is why they should stay in the house; and while they're there it wouldn't do any harm to do a bit of hoovering"
"Beer for the men and wine, a fruit based alcoholic beverage for the ladies"
FWCRxOV.jpg
And in the interests of balance here's some modern day men for ya. :D
blfK8HV.jpg

Mr Average I would have to agree with you on a few points, Bears enthusiasm and lust for life is the most engaging thing about him. I also gave up work to be a stay at home mum, I didn't see the point in having a baby and then handing it over to someone else to raise. This is why I got back into tanks, it was something to stop me going completely mental as previously my work had been my passion and hobby all rolled into one. When my family is older I may go back to my other hobbies.
My husband also has a hobby which helps take his mind off work which is hard when you have your own business. Maybe if I'd gone back into tanks when I was still working I wouldn't have felt so burnt out so often. I for one don't want everyone to be equal and the same, we are all different. I like a man to be a man, be strong etc etc, I just don't like to be thought less of because I'm female. Unfortunately certain assumptions are made by some folk based on your gender ie women can't read a map, park a car, wire a plug blah blah and that men can do these things. My step father was a very intelligent GP who took a sink and taps off, covered the ends of the pipes with plastic bags and then turned the mains back on:) .
And yes, what has happened? I couldn't be bothered with a guy that took longer to get ready than me!

This is why I got back into tanks, it was something to stop me going completely mental as previously my work had been my passion and hobby all rolled into one.

That's something we all definitely have in common :thumbup: I recently posted on someone who was selling all their gear because of work commitments. If anything that's when you need a tank :D I have my own business as well which is often stressful and many times your hard work and effort results in companies holding back payment and you staff complaining even when you're are trying to keep everyone happy. Very rare you get some job satisfaction! I also have a young daughter and finding the balance is more often than not a juggling act.

My tank is my little oasis in my life where my efforts get rewarded with something that is relaxing and a joy to look at. It gives me a better understanding of nature and reminds me what balance actually is. It only takes a few hours per week but the rewards are immeasurable in my life. I even have a little shrimp tank in my office to keep stress down, I often think just staring at it for an hour makes me make more balanced decisions. Except when they are dying but that's another story :)

I suspect men and women all keep aquariums for the same reasons as me and you. As you have found having that little break from bringing up kids and your job does a power of good. Maybe if more women knew that it would be more popular with them. Unfortunately we live in a fast moving world and without the proper information keeping fish can also have a stress level when starting out that some people want to avoid.

I hope you are aware most my comments are just to keep things light humoured. Often stuff like this deteriorates into an argument or folk trying to justify their existence. Sometimes, without a smile people misinterpret text on the internet. Anyway, glad your here and I look forward to seeing your creations, I'm sure everyone here will be giving you a warm welcome as well it's a very friendly board.

Get a post up of a tank your starting with 18,000.00 galls, 1 miilion watts of lighting, a filter that can turn the Atlantic over in an hour with some plants no ones ever heard of and shrimp that costs a months wages! You know what boys are like with their toys ;)

Take care mate and I'll be seeing you round the boards for some advice. But not on plumbing if your Dad taught you :D :eek:

Back