• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Temperature

idris

I've always run my tank at 26c.
For a long time I've hardly seen my Ottos at all and my Amanos only occasionally.

Last week I blacked out the tank for 5 days (to tackle algae) cleaned my filter pipes (improving the flow) and at the same time accidentally left the heater off (resulting in the temp dropping to 20c).

Suddenly my Ottos and Shrimp are out and about.

I know 26c is at the higher end of temps they'll tolerate, but is temp or flow likely to have been a bigger reason for their increased activity?

I would have said flow though the shrimp do come from cooler water. you don't need to go over 24 ime.

Too much enthuses is placed on constant temperature, No body off water is the same temperature all over,
If you've ever gone swimming in a tropical sea, you will feel cold spots and the fish swim through them without being acclimatised :)
Simple tip
higher temperature = higher metabolism = more food required = more waste= more water quality control, also shorter life span

I take your point entirely about temp variation. And I hasn't thought of it in terms of temp vs filtration.
Though surely the difference with rivers/lakes/sea is that most of us do run tanks at constant temps?

Back