• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Confused about Staurogyne Repens

idris

I'm wondering about some Staurogyne Repens for the front of my deep, low tech tank. But I'm confused by what I've read about it.
Tropica's website says low llight ...
Plant Details
... and the Green Machine says med-high light ...
Tropica 1-2-Grow Staurogyne repens - buy beautiful tropical aquatic plants | The Green Machine

I've got about 1.3wpg, but no CO2 and the tank is about 2'6" deep.
I have Crypt Wenditti which has done pretty well in a similar tank position, but do I have a hope in hell of growing Staurogyne Repens?

In my nano, I don't have particularly high lighting (about 2 watts per gallon) and my Stauro grows perfectly well. I think if you have slightly higher lighting you might find it will spread more than climb but it can do perfectly well in low tech. If you can maybe try and provide it with some form of CO2 just maybe a weekly dosing of EasyCarbo or the like it should be fine. I found that it doesn't take long to carpet in a tank with co2 injection. It grows quickly and you can regularly take cuttings! :lol: I will add a photo tomorrow if you want.:)

I've got about 1.3wpg, but no CO2 and the tank is about 2'6" deep. I have Crypt Wenditti which has done pretty well in a similar tank position, but do I have a hope in hell of growing Staurogyne Repens?
Hi,
You are advised to ignore all lighting specifications listed on any website, because as you can see, plants do not care about these specifications and can grow under a wide variety of lighting conditions. As mentioned, the difference is how much CO2 is being fed. More light means faster growth, but also means a requirement for more CO2. Staurogyne can be grown without CO2 enrichment but it's growth rate will be low and therefore, under those conditions, the lighting intensity should also be low.

Cheers,

Here's a couple of photos showing how it's doing in my tank. The sun just came up so they aren't the best photos but you get the idea. I also forgot to say that this tank is injected with CO2 via an aerosol.:)
dscf1910b.jpg
dscf1909o.jpg

What you need to know is that the bar for the Tropica categories is "will it survive". Staurogyne can survive in low lights and no added CO2 (although imo barely). If you want it to thrive you'd want to add more light tough and preferably CO2 as well, aiming for medium requirements.

Thanks. From memory I think I've got 1.3wpg so I'm guessing that's compatible with no CO2 injection / liquid carbon.

Having seen these pics it's possibly not quite what I had in mind as it looks about the same size as my Crypt Wenditti and I was thinking of something smaller. (Unsurprisingly I've failed missetably with a couple of the usual small foreground plants, so maybe I need to rethink.)

The Green Machine sells Hottonia palustris though. It'll grow a bit stretchy in low lights, but it's a pretty plant that can be kept low by nipping off the tops and replanting them.
I know some people on here have had some trouble with it, but I think it's a lovely plant with a very fresh colour that shines up a relative dark tank.

Alternatively you can try Ludwigia sp which is really attractive and also suited for your light.
You get the red colours even in low light (albeit not as impressively as with better light.)

OK, maybe those pics were a little misleading. My Staurogyne is only that big because it is due a clip!;) It can easily stay smaller if you keep on top of the trimming. Here is a better size comparison photo. BTW the tweezer head is about 4cm long.
dscf1911t.jpg

Back