• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Heteranthera zosterifolia

Martin cape

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any experience with this plant? How do you stop the lower leaves going brownish and dying? The top leaves are fine and like green. It's just the lower ones.
yreruhu8.jpg

Hi, I've been growing this plant for over two years. The older leaves always die off eventually. I run loads of co2 and it gets everywhere but have found the lower leaves die off when the light is lower at the bottom of the tank. I just cut the top sections off, discard the lower sections and replace them with the top sections. I normally have to do this every couple of months, as the lower sections only send new shoots out for a couple of prunings, then it's time to throw the lower sections away.

Cheers Matt.

That's what I've been doing. Just thought I was maybe doing something wrong. Been trying to get it to grow side shoots but its quite difficult. Likes to grow up to the light lol

It's a difficult plant to tame that's for sure. I think what works well with this plant is to keep it around half to three quarters of the height of the tank so the light can reach the lower stems. I sometimes struggle to make it grow side shoots too, some stems grow them fine but others struggle. I think the problem with it is that it grows so fast and so thick, the lower sections die off from the decreased light. I know that poor co2 distribution can also cause lower leaf die off, but with this plant I have found that you can blast as much co2 as you want at it, but if light is low, it melts really fast!

It's a difficult plant to tame that's for sure. I think what works well with this plant is to keep it around half to three quarters of the height of the tank so the light can reach the lower stems. I sometimes struggle to make it grow side shoots too, some stems grow them fine but others struggle. I think the problem with it is that it grows so fast and so thick, the lower sections die off from the decreased light. I know that poor co2 distribution can also cause lower leaf die off, but with this plant I have found that you can blast as much co2 as you want at it, but if light is low, it melts really fast!
I agree - you have to keep on top of your trimming, almost having to cut as soon as it looks good, because the next day or so it'll be at the surface. Also find that the slightly weaker cuttings that are finding their feet are more manageable that the fully grown growth a week later. I reckon in nature you'd find it as a floating choking mass on the surface.

I reckon in nature you'd find it as a floating choking mass on the surface.
Definately! Sometimes it is just so tempting to just let it grow how it wants to and the just cut all of the surface plants, remove the bottom sections and then replant. I think it flowers sometimes when it grows along the surface.

Definately! Sometimes it is just so tempting to just let it grow how it wants to and the just cut all of the surface plants, remove the bottom sections and then replant. I think it flowers sometimes when it grows along the surface.
Yeah that's where I'm at at the moment. Every time I tackle stem plants it's like a confrontation that I would rather put off. You've got to be in the right mind to hack back and mow hard. Afterwork , when you just want to chill, the stems on the surface win!

...Does anyone have any experience with this plant? How do you stop the lower leaves going brownish and dying? The top leaves are fine and like green. It's just the lower ones.
Martin,
Heteranthera zosterifolia is telling you that either your CO2 or flow/distribution in that tank is marginal. This plant is a weed, and if a weedy plant suffers CO2 starvation, then it bodes ill for plants that are more picky about their CO2.

Cheer,

Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience with this plant? How do you stop the lower leaves going brownish and dying? The top leaves are fine and like green. It's just the lower ones.
Ignore the lower leaves, don't prune it at all, after a while it will produce a big mass of leaves just under the surface and eventually floating leaves at the water's surface. After that you get really pretty emergent flowers.
146834DSC00933.jpg

cheers Darrel

Is the plant in background of tank pictured in my avatar.
Has grown well for over two year's without CO2 injection/supplement's.
when bottom leaves don't get light,,they shrivel and time to lop off the top half and replant the top.
In my low tech tank,,takes about three week's for growth to once again reach the surface.
Placed anubia,and crypt's around this plant for they don't need much light, and the zosterfolia grow's quickly from back of tank ,across the surface toward's the front .
Good circulation ,dry fertz, and takes a fair while before the bottom of stem's begin to lose leaves.(week's)

The conclusion is based on an optical illusion. I've also grown this plant for years in a CO2 enriched tank and have NEVER experienced loss of leaves or shriveling. In fact, when pruning, I've simply thrown away the tops. It doesn't matter whether the tank is CO2 enriched or not. The cause is the same. Increased growth blocks circulation within the lower plant bed, starving the leaf of CO2, and that's why the plant sacrifices the leaves. This is the same story for every plant, and this is no exception. If you want to test the theory then all you have to do is to place a separate diffuser within the lower bed and pump CO2 inside the bed. Another method is to measure the PAR in the lower bed and set that PAR value for the tank at the level where the upper leaves are. If the theory of loss of light is valid then this will cause the upper leaves to shrivel. If the leaves continue growth at that lowered PAR then this invalidates the theory of loss of light being a causal factor.

The obvious fact that people often do not consider is that when a leaf, or plant as a whole, is shaded by the placement of an object around it, this same object also causes shading of flow and circulation, which is much more difficult for the plant to overcome. It's very easy for the plant to overcome light shading. It simply increases the chlorophyll density of the affected leaves. In a low CO2 environment, such as low tech, the plant increases the density of Rubisco, but there is a limit to the effectiveness of both of these corrective strategies. Management of light is much easier the management of gas exchange for plants. So just because it's growing in a non-CO2 enriched water, this does not mean that it is impervious to poor CO2. CO2 concentration levels within a plant bed is often as much as 10X lower than it's concentration in open water and that's why flow and distribution is so important. Gases are 10,000X less mobile in water than they are in air, while at the same time, photons can bounce around and reflect off of nearby surfaces - and they still move at the speed of light. So it's actually a very rare occurrence to fall below the LCP, but it's very easy to fall below the CO2 Compensation Point.

The best way to use this plant in an aquascape is to not allow it to grow vertically (unless you want to see the flowers as Darrel shows). It can be held down, tied to hardscape similar to the way moss or Riccia is tied or netted to stone or wood horizontally. Then it's just a matter of pruning the individual shoots and aerial roots that pop up.

Cheers,

Back