• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eleocharis Parvula

Hi All,

As Im going on holiday soon ive decided to hold off starting my TMC Signature and have a dry start practice on my Fluval Ebi. It is made up of Lava Rock, HC and Eleocharis Parvula.

The dry start didnt go very well at all, the humidity was too low and all the plants above the reptile heat mat died back. I filled the tank at this point and have been pruning HC and planting the cuttings which has been painstaking! The Eleocharis still isnt doing great though, Ive kept it pruned but its just not spreading (or growing much for that matter). Is E Parvula the one that doesnt spread as well? I wanted E Acicularis but couldnt get any.

pof22.jpg

pof22.jpg

I've found a nutrient rich substrate does a world of good for this plant. I've had it grow in virtual darkness, but in soil/gravel.

Give it time to adjust, then cut the blades back to about a 2cm - That should encorage it to send out runners.

Its a very slow grower

Often you wont know the runners have gone out until you see little straight lines of tiny green shoots sticking out - try not to disturb them as they will keep growing until the hit something. Its not uncommon for there to be dozens of nodes on each runner. They just take ages to mature.

Back