• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Asassin Snails

B

BIN578

I have a load of assassin snails in a tank which I no longer have fish in. I turned the heater off and the tank is now at 19degrees which is the ambient temp most of the time. My question is will they be ok in there and do i need to feed them on anything ? And if I want to take them out and put them in a warmer tank (27 degrees) do I need to put them in a bag and float them and acclimatise them or can I just chuck em in ? I have no idea how resilient these things are. Thanks.

They should be fine at 19 degrese. Feed them half an algae wafer or a chunk of carrot every week and that should be enough.

And yes, acclimatising them to a new tank is a good idea, be sure to acclimatise them to the water as well as the temp. (Although they are pretty hardy) You don't want to make them angry, they are assassins after all :p

They should be fine at 19 degrese. Feed them half an algae wafer or a chunk of carrot every week and that should be enough.

And yes, acclimatising them to a new tank is a good idea, be sure to acclimatise them to the water as well as the temp. (Although they are pretty hardy) You don't want to make them angry, they are assassins after all :p

Haha I dont think they are big enough to assassinate anything where they are headed. Thanks for the advice :)

Just be careful about keeping them with Shrimp. I've had assassins take out cherry shrimp before :bored:

I'd be unsure of the vegetarian diet though, they are carnivorous after all. You could maybe feed them the odd bit of frozen meaty food? (blood worms for example). I've read that they'll eat stuff that makes it's way down to the substrate, like beef heart when keeping discus etc. I've also read of people chucking in a frozen shrimp from time to time for a population of assassins.

Just be careful about keeping them with Shrimp. I've had assassins take out cherry shrimp before :bored:

I'd be unsure of the vegetarian diet though, they are carnivorous after all. You could maybe feed them the odd bit of frozen meaty food? (blood worms for example). I've read that they'll eat stuff that makes it's way down to the substrate, like beef heart when keeping discus etc. I've also read of people chucking in a frozen shrimp from time to time for a population of assassins.

Glad you posted that Steve! I've also had these bad lads take out live shrimp. Don't ask me how, they just do when the mood takes them!

Thanks for the advice guys. Have decided to move these on and my LFS took them off my hands at a very good rate :)

Back