• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Midground plant suggestion

andy

Looking for a nice, bushy stem plant that gets to about 30cm tall. Tank is 120 gallons, CO2, 4 x T5 tubes and lots of fish. sand and compost substrate.

All suggestions welcome

Andy

I have Rotala Rotundifolia growing well in my low tech tank. Its growing really well & trimming the tops makes is making it bush out. I then replant the tops. I got mine from a bloke on ebay 'Premier Aquarium Plants'. I paid £6.00 for 30 stems that were all around 10 inches.
I also had Liminophila Sessiliflora - but that grew so quickly I pulled it out & gave it to my LFS.

Ive got the rotala rotundifolia earmarked for the back of the tank. I have some Crypt. pontederifolia for midground planting but i just wanted some nice bushy stem plant.

Or...is it just a case of keeping Rotala, heteranthera, Limnophylla, ludwigia arcuata etc trimmed down so it stays small and bushy ?

Yep - it's all in the trimming, when working with stem-plats. None of them stays in size.......just differs in speed of growth
Mick.

Hygrophila corymbosa 'Compact' might work. If it isn't trimmed, it tends to grow taller, but keeps it's bushy appearance.

While not at 30cm, crypt wendtii is a good midground plant and has several variants. HM is also a good option and grows quite tall in med light but definitely not 30cm, maybe 10-15cm max

While not at 30cm, crypt wendtii is a good midground plant and has several variants. HM is also a good option and grows quite tall in med light but definitely not 30cm, maybe 10-15cm max

I will probably go for some C. ponterderifolia

I love Blyxa but never had much luck keeping them !!!

Loves lots of Co2 and lots of phosphate even got this to flower using this dosing scheme.
hoggie

The Blyxa's aren't really difficult at all. But yes, need their lights and nutritients to thrive. The aubertii will add a nice, deep purplish-red, given good conditions.
Mick.

Back