• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ferts for general planted tank.

andy

Just wondering what ferts i could be adding to my tank.

Tank is 5 x 2 x 18", soil and playsand substrate (been in over a year so depleted of nutrients now) 4 x 54w T5 tubes, CO2 injection via 2kg fire distinguisher, good water movement, fairly heavily stocked with fish, newly planted up with vallis, crypts, sagittaria nantans, Limnophylla aromatica, Ludwigia, hygrophylla and soon to have Blyxa aubertii, cyperus helferi and Heteranthera zost.

Is there anything you'd suggest i can add weekly without going down the EI route. Is there any garden ferts i can use ?

Suggestions welcome

Andy

Anyone ? Just something that i can help my plants be nice and strong and healthy. Can i add Miracle grow or tomorite or would a special aquatic food be better.

It's not clear what you mean by "not wanting to go down the EI route." Is it too expensive to buy these products from our sponsors or other online shops, or do you live on a far away island with no access to these products?

Any of the products you buy will help your plants be nice and strong and healthy, but Miracle grow will kill your fish if you don't know what you are doing. That's because products used for terrestrial plants use ammonia salts to derive their Nitrogen. Ammonia salts are cheaper per unit weight of Nitrogen than KNO3. So if you dose these products to the water column without careful calculation then you are asking for trouble.

This isn't to say that you can't buy exactly the same ingredients (KNO3, KH2PO4 and trace elements) we use from a garden center, just stay away from terrestrial fertilizers unless you don't have fish in your tank.

Cheers,

Back