• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank setup

mike bagley

Seedling
I've a single clown loach following the death of my other one and I'm setting up a new 240l tank. This loach and some new tank mates will call the new tank home. My intention is to add as many plants as possible although I know loach can be challenging when it comes to planted tanks. It's an open top and I'm already keen on tiger lilly for some surface cover. I've got some nice pieces of bog wood so a bulldog or bristlenose plec should be happy. Apart from that I'm thinking a nice shoal of smaller fish like mountain minnows, harlequins or even danios...

I guess I should source atleast one similar sized loach but what else do people think as this stocklist seems to be missing a feature fish?

The only problems ive had with clown loach and plants is that they can be a bit boisterous and thrash around everywhere. You really should get some more, they're great fish in small shoals and should be kept in 3's as a minimum.

I usually have harliquins as an upper water swimmer with either Cardinals or rummynose tetras for the lower levels. As for a feature fish....i have 6 lovely large Angels.

I agree about keeping them in 3's + as they chase about and cluck when you have a group. I hadn't considered angels. I'll consider then. Do they make good community tank mates and again do you need to think about minimum numbers to get the best out of them?

I love the angels. I usually buy half a dozen small ones and they grow like mad. They do like being in large groups but they will tend to pair off....4 of my 6 have paired up. They will squabble a bit but in my experience, they just square up to each other, especially if they've paired off. Great fun to watch all the squaring up....it's like having kids puffing their chests and chins out....a lot of show.

Mountain minnows are really subtropical so not ideal for the setup.
Harlequins are nice, but I'd look at espeis instead as they're ever so slightly smaller and more colourful, so more aesthetically pleasing for a planted.
Other options for shoalers could be rummynose tetras, columbian tetras, a rainbowfish species (there are loads to choose from with adult sizes ranging from 1.5" to 6"), even hatchetfish shoal really nicely.
I personally wouldn't recommend the clown loach. They really should be kept in groups of 5+ and grow big. They are very active fish and personally I wouldn't keep them in less than a 5'.
Angels are a good suggestion for a centerpiece - just watch that tankmates are big enough not to become lunch. Another option is a group of bolivian rams. They often look plain in the shops but colour up really nicely once adult. Or look at apistogramma or keyholes. Neither tend to dig too much so won't disturb too many plants.

Back