• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Black Ottos

mafoo

My LFS had some fish they labelled as "Black Ottos"

I was wondering if anyone had seen these before. They evidently grow the same size of normal ottos. They definably weren't Hypoptopomas. The only reference i can find to back ottos is "Histonotus notatus"

Anyone seen them before?

there were only 3 references to "Histonotus notatus" on google

it seems they are generally know as "Otocinclus notatus"

this is them

otonegro5.jpg

I'm guessing they are compatable with normal ottos. Anyone ever kept them?

Planet Catfish lists O.notatus as a synonym as do they list Microlepidogaster notatus.

I see no reason for them not to be compatible. Some Loricariids can end up out competing each other for food, so theres a consideration there. Where did you find them? Quite like these.

Planet Catfish lists O.notatus as a synonym as do they list Microlepidogaster notatus.

I see no reason for them not to be compatible. Some Loricariids can end up out competing each other for food, so theres a consideration there. Where did you find them? Quite like these.
Ill tell you after i buy them ;)

Checked your profile, you're about 4 hours from me :)

Hehe. Its a Maiden Head Aquatics. They've only had them in for a week - and I was going to leave it for another week before picking some up - see if they have survived the travel from where ever they have come form. I'll ask where they ordered them from next time I'm in.

I'm loathe to disagree with a Darrel post, and in any case, certainly on looks, that's a closer match!

You're a walking encyclopaedia!

Hi all,
Almost looks like a plec of some sort in those photos
Yes, they are really just little Plecs. Our local MA (Leekes at Melksham) had them in at one point and I was tempted, but they are meant to like cooler water. I've never seen any of the other small non-Oto plecs for sale, other than Parotocinclus jumbo <Parotocinclus jumbo • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog>, which is also meant to like cooler water.

There is more here on H. leucofrenatus: <December 2004 • CotM • PlanetCatfish>

cheers Darrel

I went back and got 4 of them (they've put their prices up since i last went in :(, they said everywhere else that was selling them were doing them for £8 each so they had to :bawling: )

They seem to be the H. Notatus.

IjQIHy7.jpg

Hi all,
They seem to be the H. Notatus.
You can't take too much notice of the labels, they label them with the names they are sent from the wholesaler. Some fish are always wrongly labelled (for example "Apistogramma viejita" is always actually A. macmasteri, and any whip-tail Hemiloricaria/Rineloricaria/Farlowella/Sturisoma spp is almost certain to have the wrong name).

I don't think that it will make any difference to care whether they are H. leucofrenatus or H. notatus, but it will be interesting if they are really H. notatus, as there aren't any registered keepers on Planet Catfish <Hisonotus notatus • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog>.

cheers Darrel

I've seen some interesting common names in the LFS too, Sterbing and Duplicate Cory's (yes they used the apostrophe). I get the Duplicate Cory, but Sterbing? Come on...

Your Black Otos are very nice, exactly what they are is a curiosity, but doesn't take away that they're really nice, or that I want some!

How they doing?

I can see one of them hanging on the glass opposite the spraybar - the rest are probably hiding in the plants like the rest of my ottos during the day. I'll see if they come out when i turn the room light out later. I think they shop said they might have ordered them from John Allan. Not sure. It was some persons name like that.

Back