• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Female fishkeepers and aquascapers...

BTW apologies for treating you like a new member! I've been posting from a phone so not reading stuff through and for some reason thought you were the new person just introduced :sorry: Men eh, they just can't multi task!
Wish me luck lol !
It's not always like this Kurlilox, good luck with your tank.

I'm going to refrain from commenting on any of the above posts, instead saying that I personally am very surprised that there aren't more female scapers.
As a former hardcore gamer I quite thrive being a female in a male-centric environment, but with the amount of fussing that goes into the details and design you'd really think it'd be more of a female hobby.
However I do admit I don't find it very interesting to run a tank, while designing and creating a tank is much more interesting from my pov. (kinda how it's fun to build with lego, but not so fun to play with afterwards.)

I hope you're not suggesting men aren't capable of fussing over detail! Bit sexist that ;) I'm ocd so I could fuss you under the table :)

Just dawned on me, who decided it was a male dominated hobby anyway, or gaming to that matter? Seems if women think that then that's a wrong assumption that's causing the problem of them not getting involved. Maybe it is what it is and not a hobby that appeals that much to the majority of women for whatever reason. I think playing net ball would probably be a laugh just don't fancy getting right into it.

I think men and woman are fundamentally different, but that doesn't make one gender better than the other. Also, most games are specifically aimed at 16 year old boys, that makes it a male dominated world. There's no point in discussing that, it's marketing and profiling.

with the amount of fussing that goes into the details and design you'd really think it'd be more of a female hobby.
Note how I chose the words "More of a female hobby" instead of "predominately a female hobby" , as I meant that more woman should find it interesting as apposed to the relative small amount of known female scapers we see today.
And while we're on the gender-based quips, I know quite a few men who loves fussing over small details....;)

It's not the size of the detail that's important. I've fussed over my nano many a time with better results than some much bigger tanks I've seen oooerr missus . Is it me or has this post gone a bit carry on planted tank?
Do we actually know how many active female members we have? With all the crazy names for all I know I could be the only bloke here. Apart from nath that is, chauvinism like that is hard to fake. Only joking mate.

At least you are male...
The worst type as well, proper hairy a**** northern contractor caveman but I like to think I'm living a modern life whether I like it or not :D
Without getting the Freudian leather couch out I don't think there is an answer to why there aren't many top women scapers or why more women don't get into it. Maybe just doesn't appeal to most women :confused: Looking back through the posts previous I think people have commented on what it is about scaping and assumed that all females or males think the same way as them. It isn't for any good reason I can think of, like I mentioned earlier, I'm replying to posts without knowing whether it's a male or female and it doesn't make any difference. It's usually a bit further down the line when I get to know them better that I realise their gender.

What we can do to encourage more females into the hobby I don't know either, the more women showing their friends their tanks may encourage others to do the same but I know in my case I didn't find the hobby the hobby found me. A friend of mine got a two foot tank in his living room and the first time I saw it I thought I'm having one of them. Bought a book, think it was Interpet guide to fishkeeping and the plants section of the book struck a chord with me. Thousands of pounds later here I am.

I don't think you can encourage people if it doesn't take their fancy regardless of gender.

Finally :D just thought of something else that may have a bearing. When friends come round to my house male/female they all see the tank because it's the centre piece of the room. Out of all my wifes female friends except the mother in law they all look say "oh yeah it's good" in a not bothered manner and usually go on to discuss where it would be better situated in the room generally because my missus thinks it's too much and has pre-empted the conversation for my benefit :rolleyes: The mother in law did say "it looked a lot better with the lights on" :facepalm:
Children of both genders and male friends always ask questions about equipment and inmates and seem genuinely interested. Having said that so far male friends have said they would have one but never got round to it! Different opinions of it but the same net result of no new keepers, if people don't get smitten right away then I think they just think it's going to be extra hassle in their already busy lives.

If it isn't fluffy and cute many women will not be interested. Look at dogs. My min poodle used to get lots of attention from women/girls, the giant crossbreed was a bloke magnet.

There is research going on that is looking at the brain and gender. It suggests that regardless of your gender you can have degrees of male and female in your brain. They found links between very male brains and autism which I think has fueled interest in the research. So I suspect I have a female brain with a certain degree of male. Therefore I enjoy doing some things that are traditionaly viewed as male but I still like to get dressed up and shake my tail feathers now and again;)
Life would be pretty dull if all women were the same and all men the same. Apparently school teachers regardless of gender are likely to have a more female brain and engineers/architects are likely to have a more male brain.

Wasn't going to mention it because I wasn't sure of the facts behind it but did see something once where male brains are different other than the obvious where it was to do with hunting skills, perception of distance, calculating distance required to effectively hunt and stalk pray which was used on the old car parking theory! Like I said earlier with the observations of the tank. SOME ;) women seem to lose there natural curiosity of how things work which was there as a child where SOME men don't. Maybe in equal measure I don't know. Most women I know if something works it just does and they move on to a practical application. Men generally want to take it to bits and see why, which is probably why you find them at the bottom of the garden in a shed making home brew wine and dolls houses :D

I also don't mind shaking my tail feathers, or getting a bath and a shave as I like to call it!

It's down to you then girls you need to start recruiting. It would be great to have more diversity in the board and in my experience you can never see enough foo foos, the more the better :facepalm: I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.
Nath has just started a thread on soft furnishings and scatter cushions, he must be scaping his sofa :brb:
TYpyyAP.jpg

I don't have a problem with the present status quo, you go recruit:p

''Nath has just started a thread on soft furnishings and scatter cushions, he must be scaping his sofa''

Next he'll be dressing his dog in a tutu

I don't have a problem with the present status quo, you go recruit:p

''Nath has just started a thread on soft furnishings and scatter cushions, he must be scaping his sofa''

Next he'll be dressing his dog in a tutu

My wolf wouldn't fit his massive a*** in a TUTU :eek:

Do you think its because in general, men have more free time?

Just before I say anything, I am a young male and I am in no way sexist. Also this is a very simple idea, and like most things in psychology, just a theory.
I study psychology and the first thing to understand is that males and females are different. Also it is not just the sex, male vs female, it is the gender, masculine vs feminine that can effect how personality and also individual differences. Obviously males are more likely to show masculine traits and females are more likely to show feminine traits (that is not to say males don't show feminine traits and vice versa).
What i'm trying to get at is certain activities may activate or involve these traits, for example, just how fashion is more popular with women generally, the aquatics scene is more popular with men. This is an over simplified theory, as it doesn't even account for the fact that some activities may be viewed as a taboo to sex groups. What I mean by this is, for example, for many years activities such as fashion shopping and knitting have been attached with negative stigmas to males and positive for females. I understand that things are better now days but everything is not 100% equal.

The BSRI Test with JavaScript scoring

And as a side note, I do not appreciate comments like

as this can easily be viewed as sexist. I do not think it was said nastily but just be careful what you say. Sexism works two ways.

Many apologies, did not mean to offend, just an honest comment. Its just in general, and very broadly speaking, women seem to have to juggle more things than men in their everyday lives, and their free time is occupied with other things.

However, I think I may have just talked myself out of an argument...as if their free time is occupied with other things, then they are choosing to do those other things instead of taking up this hobby..

Forget I ever said anything.

(and can you please elaborate on what you mean that sexism works two ways please?)

:)

Back