• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

newbee confessions

Mate it wasn't even a solid it was a big hot soft one!!!!!!!
I was furious .... Saved what I could and bought a few more litres

Great thread this haha

My first ever aquarium had 100% non-aquatic plants in it - all house plants sold as aquarium plants in my local garden centre outlet.

I did the same thing George. It looked great for the first week or so! I also bought my first when I was at university and knew nothing about keeping fish. The guy in the shop didn't tell me about adding dechlorinator to the water at water changes. Poor little fellas they didn't last long. A common mistake

My first aquarium I condemned 4 gold fish to death in a 28 litre tank ( thanks P@H ) after that I turned to the Internet for answers as I felt bad about it and the only I've only lost 3 fish since and one was my beloved betta 'blue' who died of old age :)

Went to fish store to trade some plant clipping's for fish ,and forgot I left the fill hose running on the aquarium.
Spent the rest of the day/evening,trying to wet vac carpet with fair result's.

Decided to do a water change. Then also decided to do the washing up hovering etc. It wasn't until I got to hover into the lounge and saw water running out from under the sofa that I had realized I'd forgotton all about the tank. :). It was down to a 3rd of 200 ltrs.

father UKAPS, I have sinned. despite hours and hours of reading your site I still frazzle my plants with too much light, not enough CO2 and poor flow. Brother FX5 has offered to help out tomorrow, may the deaths of far too many plants not be in vain.

Brilliant thread!

Left the heater on while changing water. What's the sizzling? Oh...... Smash. .... Run to shop for a new one!

Common one but it makes me laugh.

Left the heater on while changing water. What's the sizzling? Oh...... Smash. .... Run to shop for a new one!
When I run the Juwel internal filter with the heater inside I broke at least 3 that way! LOL

I've been happily running my 2nd hand eheim 2026 for nearly a year without an input connector(that little tube that links onto the media tray tube)- amazing what a difference a small thing like that makes!

I got a call one day at work that my tank is pouring water out of it flooding the place. I went home and there was a pool under the tank soaking all the carpet gradually.
It turned out I had put the spraybar holes of the trickle filter that came with the tank to splash against the wall and the water was coming out of the back of the cover, falling down the back glass like a waterfall. That was sorted.
However, it didn't stop me from making the same mistake again. I did it two more times in the next year, forgetting to position the stupid holes again. I now have a professional carpet cleaner :)

I got a call one day at work that my tank is pouring water out of it flooding the place. I went home and there was a pool under the tank soaking all the carpet gradually.
It turned out I had put the spraybar holes of the trickle filter that came with the tank to splash against the wall and the water was coming out of the back of the cover, falling down the back glass like a waterfall. That was sorted.
However, it didn't stop me from making the same mistake again. I did it two more times in the next year, forgetting to position the stupid holes again. I now have a professional carpet cleaner :)

All for pro carpet cleaners!
I picked up a quarter full tetra art 30 once, never again!

Bottom cracked and i spent a couple hours sucking water from the carpet, with the carpet cleaner, then cleaning.

Heres what i have :

Installed a RO unit under the stairs, the first time I used it I left it running in to a 25litre container, went out shopping thinking I would be home in time.
I was wrong, and upon returning home water was all over the recently laid real wood floor (none of this laminate stuff) sorted everything out with loads of towels and thought I got away with it. The next morning I walked down the stairs and noticed the Wooden floor raised at all the joins!!! The wife was very angry.

Not learning my lesson I did the same a week later by forgetting the RO unit was running whilst watching a film, not as much water spilt this time but still it made the floor even worse. The effected area of floor has now been replaced and I was ordered to buy a flood alarm which has a little sensor that turns a very load buzzer on when the water is at the top if the container.

Hooked up clamp on shop light to edge of new tank I was setting up to see ,and easier access than with canopy light.
Spent the afternoon washing approx 80 lbs. of sand several times.Dumped the sand in the tank,,filled the tank with water ,and plugged in heater,filter.
When water splashing at surface from spray bar hit bulb on shop light,,bulb exploded into hundred's of pieces that fell into the freshly washed sand.
Spent nearly an hour trying to pick out pieces of glass before giving up and emptying the sand and starting all over.
Could not risk injury to cory's,loaches, I had planned for the tank.

Hooked up clamp on shop light to edge of new tank I was setting up to see ,and easier access than with canopy light.
Spent the afternoon washing approx 80 lbs. of sand several times.Dumped the sand in the tank,,filled the tank with water ,and plugged in heater,filter.
When water splashing at surface from spray bar hit bulb on shop light,,bulb exploded into hundred's of pieces that fell into the freshly washed sand.
Spent nearly an hour trying to pick out pieces of glass before giving up and emptying the sand and starting all over.
Could not risk injury to cory's,loaches, I had planned for the tank.

That sounds horrible. Lucky the glass didn't cause some other damage.

Exchanged a filter-bucket just before bed-time, by just connecting the hoses to another (used) one, turning it on without thinking of emptying it...............that ended the lives of 8 big Altum Angels!:drowning:

Not concentrating on the water level inside the jerry can when syphoning doing a water change.

Many a time I've soaked the carpet :(. And had a gob full of water :(

I filled my 700l tank almost all the way up to the top, I think the extra pressure was too much. Poured straight onto my Sony TV and on to 4k's worth of solid oak flooring that we fitted a year before, and it was 4k just for the floor without fitting, we fitted it ourself. I only lost one angelfish out of the whole tank stock.
Naively, I also left a 7mm square gap in my 240l tank and lost 3 out of my 4 ropefish in one night.

Ive sucked a pepper cory with gravel syphon i spotted it as i went to empty bucket down sink lucky fish. its still alive today
My father inlaw and i did a water change with cold tap and nearly killed 5 silver dollars we spotted them struggling and finished filling tank from kettle their still alive too

Back