• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substance ID: Growing on Suction Cups

I would also agree with that. Until a tank is biologically sound there are a few strange growths. I had a search today to see if I could help you at all but couldn't come up with anything like you're describing. Having said that, I've been keeping fish tanks for over 20 years and I've never came across anything like I have just cleaned out of my shrimp tank. It could only be described as what fat looks like in a waste pipe. I have confidence it will go away as the new filter matures. I would get some fast growing cheap plants like vallis or hygropholia and bang a load in see how it pans out. Without fish you have absolutely nothing to lose. If the situation improves you van start replacing them with the plants you really want.

As said previously, the aquarium grows the problem-substance when planted and when not planted (i.e. during a fishless cycle). Whatever the conditions, the substance grows. Thus, after 6 months of trying to get rid of the substance I think it's best I move onto another aquarium with a lid. This is the aquarium I'd like: Juwel Lido 120 Aquarium + Cabinet Black ; it has the same depth and width of the aquarium (if you want to call it that) I currently have and you can upgrade the internal pump to a 1000 LPH rate pump (instead of the 600 LPH pump that comes with it as standard).

I have thrown away the following things that I've used with the problem tank: net, bucket, testing kits, pen (the pen I used to log the ammonia and nitrite levels during cycling), thermometer, heater, sand, rug (situated near the tank) and will be disinfecting the unit that holds the aquarium before I place the aquarium on it. I have a HUGE amount of anxiety when going out to feed the pond fish because of the possibility of transferring the gunk via my hands from the problem-tank to the pond.

For me, an aquarium isn't for anxiety and stress so it needs to go.

Do you have any other tanks?

Is it possible its a form of bacteria rather than algae? I imagine adding some liquid carbon supplement would help to clear things up. I know its a bit late, but maybe for future reference.

Mate I passed a van on the motorway and thought of this post. Not sure if they could help but maybe worth a try Eurofins UK how you getting on with the tank these days?

I have had this issue lately. A white slime appears on the suction cups but did not cause any harm to the fish. I have found that soaking them in cups of warm water for a few days with regular water changes ensures they stay clean when you put them in the tank. Its probably the natural rubber reacting with warm water which causes it to excrete this white slimy substance.

I have had this issue lately. A white slime appears on the suction cups but did not cause any harm to the fish. I have found that soaking them in cups of warm water for a few days with regular water changes ensures they stay clean when you put them in the tank. Its probably the natural rubber reacting with warm water which causes it to excrete this white slimy substance.

This technique has helped me remove it but it isn't a permanent fix in my case. I am very inclined to think that the substance is wholly or partially created by incoming airborne bacteria/fungi as I've only experienced it in an open-top aquarium. Other aquaria that I have have closed hoods keeping most of the air from getting in. The rising water vapour under the hood ensures air flows upwards stopping anything nasty from flowing in. When you have a fully open-top aquarium, the strength of this upward flow is not powerful enough to stop dust and other nasties landing on the surface and mixing into the body of water.

In any case, I have now sold the tank and won't ever be touching an open-top aquarium again as it's not suitable for the particular environment that I have in my home.

Back