• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rob's 300L Perigean Beach

Actually I'm still not using the halides. Not needed to for day to day growth. They are very handy for photography though!

Chris, I had a good solid barrier of pogo and staurogyne but the monster sterbai kept busting it apart. I'm contnt to give it a little tidy every now and then.

pariahrob said:
Actually I'm still not using the halides. Not needed to for day to day growth. They are very handy for photography though!

Chris, I had a good solid barrier of pogo and staurogyne but the monster sterbai kept busting it apart. I'm contnt to give it a little tidy every now and then.

OK or the other thing you can do is mini pebbles and graded shingle. I have a similar problem but it is lessened significantly by a barrier of mini dragon stone.

A quick look in my 'fish room':

I'm part way through a slight replanting of the 300L, so it looks a bit sorry for itself. I've removed the amazon swords to make way for some red. Or, pink in this case. I had some of these reineckiis in the 60-P when I first set it up. They were lovely but quickly go too big for it, so I yanked them. Now they are back, with plenty of room!

You can also see a bit of progress from my 60-P in it's marine form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=higbrLo2rl0

Yes! Tank is doing very well thanks. Apologies for the complete lack of updates. Life has got the better of me and my design work has been absolutely crazy for the last few quarters.

Tank is looking good, although a little more algea in places than I would like. I put that down to a little reduced flow, as the reineckii has grown very densely and blocked the left side a little. I'm thinking of pulling them and planting something shorter now anyway. I may go for spreading my staurogyne carpet out all the way to the left.

Fish are all doing well. In fact I have recently replaced the Marvin the plec. I now have a gorgeous gold nugget. He's been in for a couple of weeks and has settled well. Eats fine and has set out his bounderies. He has chosen the very centre of the tank and is usually either perched on the big central boulder, or upside down on the wood above it.

He hasn't been particularly aggressive in anyway (which I read they can be) but there isn't really anything to fight for dominance with.

I'll get some photos up soon too.

Hi all,

been a long time since I updated this thread. Life got the better of me for a bit but still been taking care of things. The tank had a photo shoot for an article at the end of last year, which I'll post a copy of once I'm given the all clear.
I think it's coming up to time to rescape soon though, so I plan to spend some time getting back into what everybody is doing and being inspired. I'm tempted to do something more iwagumi styled but on this big scale I'm not sure it will work.

Anyway, I'll be sure to get posting again. I've missed ukaps!

I'm going to be a dad soon too!

Yep, congrats Rob.
Pleased to see you back too :)

Thanks all! Baby is due in June, so will actually have more time then, as am taking a couple of months off.
My plan is to get the rescape done in April though, so all I have to do is nurture it and stay on top of things.

(that's the plan at a least! Baby may have other ideas!)

So, when I come to rescape do you think I need to replace the substrate, or should the existing still be ok?

One more question. I have some algae on my manzi. I would like to get rid when I do the new scape but not sure the best method. Any ideas? It's very dark grey/green and looks like velvet but with slightly longer fibres.

Ok, after discussion with my wife, the decision has been made to convert this into a less labour intensive tank. Or at least a less hands in tank kind of set up. We have both been fans of discus but never kept any, so that will be the main focus.

I've spent the last week or so slowly changing over the plants to ones that will be better suited to a lower energy set up, as well as ones that will be better with lower ph and higher temperature.

I've also removed the beautiful manzi I had in there and in has gone some massive bog wood. My gold nugget plec loves the new wood and has claimed his new space.

Planting is done and am looking forward to watching this develop. I loved the last scape and had some beautiful photos from it, some of which were commissioned others just snaps for pleasure. I'm hoping this new look will be as good. Lower flow and lots more grasslike background plants with a wide carpet. The sandy area is staying.

I really must take some pics to show you all!

Hi Rob! Didn't know you were live on here! That Discus is a beaut... My mind keeps playing on Mike's pair of apistogramma veijita's. I think i'll have to reserve them lol!

Well that was a massive PITA but new floor in the fish room.

b7uFYZ6.png

I can only imagine the nightmare....lol
I can also imagine your feeling of 'Thank the lord it's done'

Back