• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Journal Closed.

CRShrimpy :D

p1080867a.jpg

Cheerio,

Nice work ady, how did the spare crs go in the fluval?
ha, never got round to doing it :couchpotato: .....the fluval tank has only 2 shrimp in it! ill put some in eventually.....

Any update on this tank?
Hi TallDragon,
not much to report, just ticking along, but reproduction has ceased. I had one berried female after the spring clean, but i think she was one of the kamikaze shrimp :(. Im guessing its either the higher dosage of liquid carbon or the lack of weekly water changes which has halted proceedings....maybe both. Im slowly reducing the liquid carbon down to 1ml daily again, currently at 1.25ml from 1.5ml. I dont think the lighting levels warrant anything more than recommended dosage and the shrimp were breeding happily at that so ill see if there is a positive change. If not ill up the water change frequency again, although maybe a halt in reproduction is a good thing with the numbers in here now. Im finding that if i dont feed every other day, they strip certain softer leaved plant species...namely the lobelia cardinalis which has now all but disappeared. The mini hairgrass isnt thriving, its either being uprooted, eaten or just doesnt like the conditions so may well be coming out in favour of the sand bed again (which will last a day until the shrimp have covered it in aquasoil again :banghead:)
Oh, i added in the eleocharis ecicularis to the rear from the studio tank that i talked about, and also the ludwigia repens too rather than throw it away.

p1090070k.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady.

Thanks for the update Ady.
lovely tank, still.
With the great number of shrimp, how can you tell if you are giving them enough food?
is the hairgrass getting enough light to 'thrive'?

cheers

Hi ady, is it possible the drop off in breeding is purely down to they won't breed if survival isn't threatened ?? I've only kept shrimp at around 20 ltrs and noticed they breed for a while then nothing until I move some on ?
Hi Tim, I'm unsure but it is something I've considered, maybe when numbers get high they slow down naturally....food availability etc may also play a role, although it seems I may have been hasty in my assessment in the last post as I've just spotted two shrimplets tonight :)

Reactions: tim
Thanks for the update Ady.
lovely tank, still.
With the great number of shrimp, how can you tell if you are giving them enough food?
is the hairgrass getting enough light to 'thrive'?

cheers
Thank you and no problem.
Well, I'm not sure really how you tell whether your giving them enough food, other than the fact that they are eating my plants which suggests they're not getting enough :) The fact that they come out to get the food whenever i put it in means they must be hungry, but as to how much its guesswork really, I just drop some in every 2-3 days (probably 10-15 pellets) and assume they're all getting something as feeding continues for the rest of the evening.....they kind of share it all as it breaks down into smaller pieces and they all seem to end up sat on a leaf with a bit in their claws :) maybe I should strictly feed them every 2 days now and see how it goes.....which will mean I need to do more water changes and maintenance which I still can't seem to get into the routine of doing!.....I should be doing it now infact, I've had a drum of water ready since last Thursday!!
As for the hairgrass, I'd be surprised if I was at the light compensation point, but its possible I suppose.....liquid carbon was being dosed at good levels, especially given the low light intensity, and distribution is good so I don't know really. Everything is painfully slow so maybe it is to do with the lighting levels.

Cheerio,
Ady.

thought id share a few maintenance pics.

Take about this much water out overall, maybe a bit more sometimes depending on how many times i have to rinse the filter sponge :rolleyes: :

p1090129.jpg

Use the water to rinse the filter sponge, which surprisingly results in this much waste :yuck: :

p1090123.jpg

Add a little Mosura bt9 bacteria supplement to the top of the filter sponge before replacing the filter floss layer:

p1090133f.jpg

p1090140i.jpg

Then refill with room temperature water prepped and dechlorinated the day before, with added Salty Shrimp GH+ to appropriate TDS:

p1090142r.jpg

Voila, max 45 mins....dont know why i dont do it more often :confused:, maybe if i did my filter wouldnt get so dirty :p :

p1090154vg.jpg

Liquid carbon down to 1.25ml daily, reducing to 1ml next week.
Think im going to need to feed the shrimp daily....theyve started attacking my echinodourus now too! :hungry:
Cheerio,
Ady.

That's great Ady :) Is the mosura bt9 any good? Not heard of it before if I'm honest (that's what 18 months away from the hobby will do for you...)

Also, I'm starting to come around to the idea of these all in one tanks... I've seen a few on sale locally and I'm tempted, even if I do already have a couple of Dennerle cubes in storage...

Thanks for sharing Ady. Looks really great, just love those shrimp. I'm tempted to get some for my tank but I have some amano's now.

Yeah steve I'm in the same boat, been away from the hobby for some time and I'm seeing all sorts of stuff out on the market I haven't heard about before.

Is the mosura bt9 any good? Not heard of it before if I'm honest (that's what 18 months away from the hobby will do for you...)
well scientifically i dont know, but i wouldnt not use it now! Ive had no issues with shrimp health, the only casualties being crawlers, ive never seen a dead shrimp in the tank....ive used the bt-9 from the outset, there are hundreds of supplements which you could spend a fortune (and hours of dosing) on, but as this one in particular was recommended i went with it....touch wood, all is well and because of the very small financial outlay i dont fancy stopping using it as a test :)

I'm starting to come around to the idea of these all in one tanks...
some really neat packages available, and i think this filter system is really good due to its simplicity and size.....still manage to fill your cabinet full of 'stuff' even though there is no canister down below :banghead:

Cheerio

well scientifically i dont know, but i wouldnt not use it now! Ive had no issues with shrimp health, the only casualties being crawlers, ive never seen a dead shrimp in the tank....ive used the bt-9 from the outset, there are hundreds of supplements which you could spend a fortune (and hours of dosing) on, but as this one in particular was recommended i went with it....touch wood, all is well and because of the very small financial outlay i dont fancy stopping using it as a test

Wise comments, exactly the same has happened with me.:thumbup:

That is a really beautiful tank - I'm trying to achieve the same but after only three weeks since introduction I can only see one of the 10 CRS I put in my nano! You obviously have the magic touch. Good work.

That is a really beautiful tank - I'm trying to achieve the same but after only three weeks since introduction I can only see one of the 10 CRS I put in my nano! You obviously have the magic touch. Good work.
Don't worry, they can be very illusive, I used to spend hours trying to count my first 10, I rarely did, but they were there :)

Back