• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fun Project - Tiny 1 Ltr Windowsill Nano

jon32

This idea came about when I got a bit tired of looking at a tray of Tropica Eleocharis sp. 'mini' that I had been growing DSM style on the windowsill for a couple of months:bored: So I found this square vase lurking around the place and immediately thought about doing a miniature aqua scape (I know too much time, lol)

I found some nice stones while out for a walk along the beach with our dog and had this tray of ADA Amazonia and Tropica Eleocharis sp. 'mini'. So I removed the Eleocharis sp. 'mini' and separated it into individual plants. I put the old substrate in the vase and arranged the stones in such a way that there would be a higher and lower level for planting. I had some left over amazonia powder so the old substrate was topped to keep the sense of scale (lol sounding clever now) . Last thing was to plant the Eleocharis sp. 'mini' using some small tweezers and fill with h2o.

The result. Photo taken a week later...
8712928869_8717325d7b_z.jpg

8712897095_bd9565acf4_z.jpg

8714020196_feebba8e4b_z.jpg

8714020174_a4d338c3f0_z.jpg

Cheers :)

hi i like the look of that would look nice with some shrimp in it looks like the old battier jars we used to get when i first started
fish keeping oops showing my age now lol

Hi, thanks.. yeah agree on the shrimp they would look great :) I was actually just thinking of keeping it plants only though, a bit boring perhaps but the well being of the shrimp would be of concern possibly as It gets a bit of sun late afternoon, so there's probably a bit too much of temperature swing throughout the day maybe.

Sometimes these little simple setups are a lot more enjoyable than larger ones. The stones perfectly go with each other.

Hi, really appreciate all the comments, thanks :) TBH I was intrigued to see how the these stones would look in an aqua scape, and not having the space for another larger tank the scape was born :) I can see some potential long term problems, light being one - it's going to be troublesome with algae, though at the moment I'm keeping on top of it with daily water changes and liquid carbon.

Lovely set up, at least you don't have to spend much money on plants! I reckon a pair of Oscars would suit that tank nicely:cigar: Just joking!:lol:

Ha ha.. thanks James! :D

You will battle algae..

Take water away, cover with cling film and use it emersed.

Aye.. when it becomes to much of a problem I may try moving it to a different location where it doesn't get any full sunlight.

Nicely done Jon...shared on the ukaps Facebook page.

Thanks Ian :thumbup:

I did this a Few years ago in an ikea vase ( just like yours ). Daily water changes were essential and no shrimp. They will escape !

That a very nice pico scape :thumbup: , I have frequently scaped at this end of the spectrum, but never as small as 1 litre.
I've found 100% daily water changes and dosing carbonated water really helpful in combating algae and encouraging plant growth.
I would add 0.5ml of carbonated water at the start of the photoperiod, in this case I suppose that when the sun rises :).

Cheers,
James

Thanks James! I've been doing the 100% or thereabouts daily water changes but not the carbonated water, going to try that :)

Cheers

At the levels I suggested, carbonated water won't present any risk to livestock, I've dosed as high as 1ml per litre with no problems. It is actualy the components of the carbonated water other than the carbonic acid that limit the dosing, and I therefore only use it in scapes that receive large daily water changes. That said i think it would unethical to keep any fauna other than daphnia in 1 litre of water:)

Cheers,
James

Thanks James that's some useful information. Defo going to keep this one just with the plants :)

Back