• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TDI's Blyxa-Blyxa Journal

TDI-line

Tank: Akva-Stabil Effect line 720, with Effect-line cabinet with doors clad in aluminium.

Volume: 720 Litre., measures 2000 mm x 600 mm x 60 mm.

Filtration: Eheim Pro 3e 2078.

Heating: 300 Watt Hydor in-line heater, with Dennerle Duomat Evolution controller.

CO2: JBL Regulator & Magnetic Shut Off Valve, with Dennerle Evolution PH controller, fed from 2 KG CO2 bottles to in-line Aquamas CO2 reactor.

Lighting: 4 x D+D T5 Razor Light Twin 2 x 39 Watt, with Giesemann Powerchrome Midday 6000 and Aquaflora bulbs.

Circulation: Tunze Nanostream 6045.

Substrate: 120 litres of ADA Aquasoil Amazonia.

Tank decor: 40 KG of mini-land scape rock from AE, Sumatra wood.

Plants: Alternanthera reineckii 'Purple' , Blyxa Japonica, Cyperus Helferi, Vesicularia Dubyana 'Christmas'.

Fish: Shoal of Paracheirodon axelrodi, Ottocinculus, Badis Bengalensis, Corydoras sterbai, Caridina japonica, and Splendens betta.

Ok then, after a complete strip down and removal of Dennerle's heating cables and gravel, and a heavy dent to my wallet from Mr Amano's aquasoil, i have finally managed to scrape together a collection of photos for a kind of journal...

So we last left off with a murky tank of aquasoil and mini-landscape rocks, and some serious planting to be done.

DSC00329.jpg

Then some not so mini-landscape rock was added, thanks to Richard at AE.

DSC00377.jpg

Dennerle CO2 diffuser and tank heater was removed, and hydor heater and Aquamas reactor was added.

DSC00380.jpg

DSC00381.jpg

Then the tank was allowed to grow for a few weeks and ....

DSC00383.jpg

DSC00385.jpg

DSC00389.jpg

DSC00390.jpg

DSC00391.jpg

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

And a few full tank shots ....

DSC00393.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

There's still a few things i'm not happy with, the hardscape needs some work to reach above the Blxya, and i may ditch the wood too, but for now i'll just leave things alone. ;)

Hope you enjoy,

Dan C.

Nice one Dan!

The Blyxa has gone bananas :D
Like you say the hardscape could do with some adjustment, I would try stacking the rocks to get some nice peaks protruding above the plant.

im sure your proud of your lawn ( I would be ) but I think it could do with breaking up a bit. some open spaces amongst it would add some interest IMO.

fantastic plant growth, well done.

(edit) Ps.spare any Blyxa? :)

WOW! nice one mate, looks great. I can't believe how much Blyxia you have, what a carpet! It all looks so healthy too.
If you plant the stems behind the wood it would create a nice contrast to the moss and help it blend in a bit?

Holy £$%*!
Dan I'm lost for words that's amazing I especially love the moss wood rock feature. Fantastic work!

WOW never seen so much Blyxa in one tank!!! Looks awsome, problem with Blyxa is that it will just keep growing taller and taller, and sooner or later you will have to sort that out.
Love the effect it creates :) keep up the good work :)

Sure once it starts growing up, all u'll have to do is uproot the front, then you got a superb midground feature, and a new foreground to play around with.

TDI-line said:

I love this pic with the cardinals swimming just above the blyxa! Looks cool as
Tank is looking top notch matey!
Whats the orange fish in the first pic, a killi of some description, what sp. is it?
Joe :D

EDIT - just noticed species in OP, is Badis bengalensis. Ignore me

That blxya carpet looks amazing! I ordered some blyxa online but the plants werent in such good condition when they arrived, leaves were glassy and broken :(

Hi Tdi,well what can i say except it took my breath away when i saw the full tank shots,beautifull really beautifull,regards john. :D

Wow, thanks for all the kind comments from everybody.

I'll probably have a little pull of the blyxa later in the month, maybe even cut through the tank front to back with hardscape, set about 1/4 of the way along.

Mr Farmer kindly gave me a few good bunches of Blyxa a few months ago, and i have been splitting and growing it ever since. Thanks George. :D

When i planted this, alot of the Blxya had been nibbled and stripped. I returned a few assorted fish to my lfs, and i think the Bristlnose catfish was guilty. But now not a stripped plant in sight. :lol:

Back