• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mine & A Mates

grathod

Hi All

As the house move is taking longer than expected, what with the chain malarkey, the fish tank corner is looking a bit empty and sad, so I've decided whilst the waiting game is on, I'll spark up the ol' tank with a hardscape only so that it easy to pack up & move when the date eventually arrives.

As I've got all my equipment same as previous thread:
100cm optiwhite - the learning curve | UK Aquatic Plant Society

I've got the filter maturing and have decided to use a thin base of graded unipac samoa sand and some redmoor root that I've bought recently in the usual trips to the LFS. The wood is also being soaked so hoping that once that's ready, I'll be ready to roll. Trying to also source some smaller pieces of petrified wood on a budget as I want to achieve something rather simplistic but not spend too much at the mo, so watch this space.

On an other note, have also been asked by a mate to help rescape his tank below:

hmu3G0y.jpg

the scape was a simple introduction to nature scapes based on a picture he took whilst out walking many moons ago. Wants to turn it up a notch but on a shoe string budget...

Does anyone have any Christmas Moss and mini pelia going spare?

Progress... got some smashing mini pellia from Ed @ Freshwater Shrimp and a decent amount of weeping moss from Claire, thank you both.

Also received some goodies from abroad - acrylic lily pipe set, was a bit blown away by the contents of the package... attached some pics taken from my phone:

M3UKgPo.jpg

HdVeCaZ.jpg

8hTVPx9.jpg

lS0bbQC.jpg

uBsHKic.jpg

It's only recently that I found out that TMC are starting to do something similar - good on them. Love it!

A word of warning, I purchased a couple of these pipe sets and both of them failed. One set split along the join in the plastic and the second was leaking from the screw fit. Wasn't overly impressed with these units or the customer service I received.

When are the tmc ones coming out?

Not sure but picked up a TMC AquaGro catalogue when out at one LFS and they are showing them in there in 2 sizes - 12/16mm & 16/22mm, items coded as 2899 & 2900 respectively...

A word of warning, I purchased a couple of these pipe sets and both of them failed. One set split along the join in the plastic and the second was leaking from the screw fit. Wasn't overly impressed with these units or the customer service I received.

Thing I found with these are that it is better to fit the pipe to the screw nuts first before attaching to the lily in & out, as i can see how just brute pressure on the long tubes may cause them to split. also the screw nuts i tightened with very little hand pressure till i felt the flexi give of the rubber washer that comes in screw nut. kit set up and working well. sorry to hear about yours, might be worth purchasing the tmc ones with better UK customer service? just a suggestion.

still the principle of a surface skimmer built in gets both thumbs up from me... just need to figure out how to clean this when much the surface oils is trapped. Anyone know what the sponges are for as not entirely sure?

ok folks figured the acrylic lily pipe kit out now sponges and all. I have read some reviews to the contrary of this products usefulness here so thought I'd share my own findings using this product... these have been long overdue is what I say. inlet with skimmer attachement is relatively easy to use, you've got to make sure that there is enough of an overlay between the bottom strainer and the adjustable out tube on the bottom and you can telll as the top skimmer part will start forming bubbles which indicate that the drag on this part has formed. only difficulty is that as the water evaporates this skimmer element will need adjusting but easily done by other winding up or down the skimmer attachment as it is on a screw platform. You must ensure that there is sufficient overlap on the bottom of the strainer as explained above. will try and include photos when I can be asked as it really is rather simple.

My lfs can order them from tmc if you want me to see how much and when he could gary???

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Yes that would be great Alastair... :)

Progress... got some smashing mini pellia from Ed @ Freshwater Shrimp and a decent amount of weeping moss from Claire, thank you both.

Also received some goodies from abroad - acrylic lily pipe set, was a bit blown away by the contents of the package... attached some pics taken from my phone:

M3UKgPo.jpg

HdVeCaZ.jpg

8hTVPx9.jpg

lS0bbQC.jpg

uBsHKic.jpg

It's only recently that I found out that TMC are starting to do something similar - good on them. Love it!

Very nice. Where did you get that from?

Posted from the comfort of my iPhone...

Hi sorry for the late reply, got this from an eBay seller but TMC now sell exactly the same thing now and costs very similar by the time you add postage from the Far East. Plus with local purchase you get the warranty if something goes wrong with it... Some people have mentioned leakage problems so better if sourced from home soil if you catch my drift

Back