• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tetratec replacement advice?

its because you dont give them time to get established its either
that or you have big messy fish your filter will be ok if your tank
maintenance is up to date and there is not to much phosphate
and to much lighting i dont run any high tec . all my tanks are low
tech planted tanks i find it works for me

No big messy fish, but high tech here.
I'll start a thread on this subject, as it would be interesting to have some input from others on this topic.

Cheers for the info folks.
Today I bought some epoxy glue and repaired the tetratec impeller, so the nasty buzzing noise has stopped. I'm going to hold onto this filter for a while longer as now it's working ok. But I do like the look of the eheim electronic range. The adjustable speed seems a great idea. So when I'm feeling a bit more flush I may just splash out on one.

JBL crysatprofi are easy to use (prime) have a good range of media and are easy to clean. Standard hose sizes and the new versions are energy saving. Great filters IMO.

JBL crysatprofi are easy to use (prime) have a good range of media and are easy to clean. Standard hose sizes and the new versions are energy saving. Great filters IMO.

In my experience JBL filter does not prime as good as Eheim.

JBL Crytalprofi 900:
+ good value for money
+ simple
+ good choice of extra materials (sometimes a bit expensive though; I like: JBL TorMec CPe - Aquatis Fresh water - JBL for Amazonian tank)
- problems with priming (maybe it is only my case)

Eheim 2075 (called 600 now)
- price
+ built
+ good customer support (faulty motor replaced with new filter)
+ easier to clean than JBL (personal view)
+ eheim extension kit/set (can be used with other filters too of course)

Eheim 2073 (350)
- price
+ power - it is the same motor as in 2075, good for plugging UV and in-line heater

Personally I don't get the idea of Eheim "e" series - it is another piece which can get faulty. And Eheim's filters with built-in heaters are famous for heater blowing up. Why to complicate fairly simple concept? Apparently the "e" filter shows the time remaining to the next cleaning. I wonder how it measures amount of waste getting through the filter.

Thanks juliusz there's some good info there. Always a mine field choosing the right bit of kit, especially with the price tag attached.
The thing I like about the Eheim e range was the controllable motor speed. Say for instance I wanted to use it on a much smaller tank the option is there to slow the speed without just part closing a tap. Energy saving and less strain on the impeller. I know what you mean about more parts to go wrong, but you wouldn't believe how many things that you already have just in your house are Micro processor controlled. They're everywhere. And the majority of the time it's not the circuitry or IC that goes wrong. Unless of course you buy cheap shoddy Chinese.

Back