• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amazon sword - thinning leafs

Darkening vii

Seedling
Hi there, I got 160l tank all set up over the last week (to replace my 70l tank), I plated it out with a mixture of plants, but I my amazon swords have gone thin on the middle like you can see the veins on them.

I have never been successful in growing plants in my tanks, never sure why, the tank has a light on for 7hrs a day. I have been given different answers ranging from co2 to not enough iron in the water, any help /advice would be great!

Thanks

Just check the leaves are the submerged form (generally long and wavey) and not the the emersed form (rounder with a distinct stem). Many of them are grown emersed and gradually loose all the leaves they have when you guy them and produce new ones in the submerged form. If you've had the swords for a while then ignore this!

Pics might help.

Thanks for the kind answers what a great forum! I tried to upload a pic but it timed out. They are the long wavy ones, I am currently using flora boost but have now switched to tropical fertiliser will give more info when I get home

Tom is correct, that is a emersed leaf. These need to be chopped off, and you'll get new submersed leaves grow.

And welcome!

Did you say you had a plec or am I just imagining that?!
Looks like a sucker mouth attack to me......either way I can see its hit you hard, turning your world upside down! Lol.....sorry, my bad :)

Lol thanks, yeah I do have a plec he is only small though, I will chop off the affected areas and keep adding flora boost for now

Back