• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Favourite carpet?

that's a tough one HC cuba i think just wins, because i like small plants, also it likes my water

I quite like Dwarf Hairgrass. I have it in my CRS tank and its just a low maintenance plant in my opinion. It looks great especially with a slight flow around them. I don't use CO2 in that tank and it still grows and spreads.

I'm beginning to try out Fissiden Fontanus as a carpet plant. Its a very slow growing moss and I only bought a little bit so its going to take ages but it will look nice hopefully.

When done properly, I think H. tripartita is one of the most beautiful. S. repens is starting to grow on me too (but not in my tank :bored:).

love all the pics i see of HC , but it failed miserably for me . currently im trying out eleocharis acicularis . love the look of it when people do riccia carpets , but thought they sounded pretty high maintainence

Fourleaf for me then mosses grown over the wood or rock.:)

I agree with lain.. It looks fantastic but not something I am going to attempt atm

Hi all,
The only carpet success I've had was Riccia, but that is only at the waters surface so doesn't really count, and H.c "Cuba" but again only emersed on the top of a HMF filter.

I liked the look of LondonDragon's Fissidens carpet in a shrimp tank.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
The only carpet success I've had was Riccia, but that is only at the waters surface so doesn't really count, and H.c "Cuba" but again only emersed on the top of a HMF filter.

Can I recommend the magical 'sinking' Riccia? Actually does what it says on the tin, this is all just heaped up on itself, not attached to anything -

riccia.jpg

I want to completely 'carpet' my big tank with trident java fern next rescape. Only grows to a few inches long and spreads itself out quite nicely. Might be considered cheating though.

How about a shrimp carpet:)
uquve4aj.jpg

I like a mixed carpet of several species....looks more natural :) I do like grasses though, so eleocharis has to be a feature.

Hi all,

I liked the look of LondonDragon's Fissidens carpet in a shrimp tank.

cheers Darrel

i agree love the look of LodonDragon's Fissidens carpet. i also like mini pelia

I really enjoy grass plants, vs the riccia or other carpets people create, makes me think of a nice lawn for the fish to go around and graze and little bits of food to be lost so that a always working shrimp can find it for that tasty little morsel.

I'm quite new to this hobby and have decided that i am going to attempt a carpet in my first proper tank, I have more than enough light and only use easycarbo.

My substrate is fine gravel and only around 1 inch thick at its lowest point, Realistically could i get a half decent carpet?, if so could anyone recommend an easy plant with slow growth? it would be a nightmare for me at this point to have to have to trim/maintain it often. im jumping into the deep end here as i did not plan on having a carpet at all but would love one.

Edit: had a little search and it seems dwarf hairgrass is fairly easy?,imo its one of the best looking, does it grow fast?

Cheers.

no one mentioned about M. hirsuta and lileopesis brasilianis..:) both are quite slow and ideal for both high an' low tech tanks..:)

but for me I prefer using glossostigma infront and cuba at the back (to add to the perspective depth) with mix of parvula and few mosses or M.hirsuta/lileopesis for additional texture..

I know it might not be a carpet, but I'm a huge fan of staurogyne repens...busy trying to grow a "carpet" of it in my roma 90. Great looking green!
As it's my first tank I have not had a chance to try others out yet.

Back