• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I totally understand about that piece of wood along with a couple of other pieces, however I think it will change a lot over the next 4 weeks as the plants fill in all the gaps and moss bulks out so ill stick with it and see.... I knew it would be an ugly duckling for a while :)
All the wood lifts out as a couple of bits so can be changed if it still looks odd in a few weeks.
I'm hoping it will look like the picture in my head eventually lol. If not ill just have to go see ed and get some other bits of wood....
Also need to level the tank too.

Fauna wise will be barbs again but different ones along with some loaches and another undecided school of something. I have a few ideas but open to suggestions.

hi sanj thanks for the suggestion, not wrong about the cost of Sidthimunkis even with a bit of a deal its a heartbreaker yet they are still top of the list, thinking maybe 8 or so. I was interested in some smaller asian catfish but they are rocking horse poop so no doubt have an even higher price tag even if i could find them.
No rush to stock though and these things always change.

All is well so far, got a few more plants to add in over the next few days, 10 bucephalandra Malawi and some Microsorum 'needle'. Had a little trim of the pinna, just nipping the tops out to try and keep compact and also added a few more bits. Im really impressed with the invitro pinna, really healthy new growth in a short amount of time.
Still running with just micros, thinking next week to start alternating with all in one.
Got some melt on the Blyxa Aubertii which i expected as happened last time i tried it, the leaves are so delicate it really doesnt like travelling, it does also have new growth just appearing so should come good.

New Gush DC arrived friday so now have an idea of the co2 level, nice lime green before lights on so will think about adding shrimp soon.
Aquaray controller isnt keeping time, seems to lose 2 hours in every 24hr period. Have contacted the supplier to get it changed as this is a bit of headache and could easily cause algae issues.

Added in a bunch of mature filter media from the holding tank along with 300g of purigen, water is now nice and clear :) Id like to get rid of the powerhead for a filter as i have an extra stainless outlet and glass inlet, current thinking is something like a JBL greenline 1500 or similar as the wallet cant handle another eheim at the moment. All recommendations welcome.

This has got me thinking again about how Amano looks runs his 4' tanks with just one ADA filter with less output than a 2080? How does he do this?!?! Is it 24hr co2? Magic water? Daily water changes for the life of the tank? I dunno but want to figure it out...
Which then got me thinking about water changes... would 25ltrs changed daily do the same job as 150ltrs once a week? Any opinions on this would be gratefully received.
This would make life easier as storing 150ltrs RO is fine but having it at a temp that that isnt going to shock the fish etc especially during the colder months is going to be an issue....any thoughts?

Anyhoo, will post a couple of new pics later tonight....
Have a nice sunday everyone and enjoy the sunshine.

Looking forward to more pics Iain, think I read amano uses less intense lighting so would that mean the flow requirement is lessened ? I would imagine his minions clean and change water at the clap of his hands also :) I've tried smaller daily water changes on my 90cm, found I still needed to carry out a larger water change every couple of weeks to remove all the detritus. Really like the wood/ moss framework you've created gonna look spot on grown in mate.

Amano uses hundreds of amano shrimp. Really a lot more than anyone here - look at any close up of his YouTube channel. Agree flow is very low in them all. Plus he starts with incredibly high plant mass and continues with very low fish stocking. His light levels are high if you ask me.

Plus he's got countless minions. Is interesting that there's no good 'what do you actually do' interviews with him that are a week in the life of the tanks in his shop.

Hi Ian, tank is looking superb and will turn into a beauty 2 weeks after first moss trim.
nice to hear invitro pinnatifida did well also. my opinion you over did with the moss, could have used half of it
one filter is very possible, i am running just one in all my latest tanks. key is less light and ferts, especially less hours rather than intensity also. Latest tank i am running 300l with just one jbl cristalprofi 1500. if you want to save on filters go second hand.

Amano uses hundreds of amano shrimp. Really a lot more than anyone here - look at any close up of his YouTube channel. Agree flow is very low in them all. Plus he starts with incredibly high plant mass and continues with very low fish stocking. His light levels are high if you ask me.

Plus he's got countless minions. Is interesting that there's no good 'what do you actually do' interviews with him that are a week in the life of the tanks in his shop.

I guess it is a combination of things that means this can work as you say and having umpa lumpas all round doing daily maintenance and WC's will always help.
Im would consider his light to be high as well, most of his 120cm have 2 or 3 x 250w HQI over them so dont think low light is a factor.

Hi Ian, tank is looking superb and will turn into a beauty 2 weeks after first moss trim.
nice to hear invitro pinnatifida did well also. my opinion you over did with the moss, could have used half of it
one filter is very possible, i am running just one in all my latest tanks. key is less light and ferts, especially less hours rather than intensity also. Latest tank i am running 300l with just one jbl cristalprofi 1500. if you want to save on filters go second hand.

thanks ed, i hope so. Will be nice to see it develop. I wasnt too sure how thick to lay the moss on so just went for it, live and learn... if i use less you'll have to pay for your own holiday :p
I am tempted to stay with one filter but it goes against everything ive learnt in practise about high tech. I think ill get a second filter so its there if needed but maybe try removing the powerhead for a few weeks and seeing what happens. All of your tanks certainly look fine with just the one.
Im currently using 50% ferts and just started alternating micro and all in one with daily 75% WC, what sort of dosing would you suggest with the vimi ferts if i stick with one filter??
LED's are running at 60% about 40cm from surface so relatively low....50 of the Amanos are in now and are happy cleaning up which should give a bit of a safety net.

The pinna from you was mad, i also had some Anubias pinna invitro from AE which had maybe 15 plants in but yours were al least double that. Interestingly your pinna is adapting a lot quicker than the anubias ones also, even when next to each other...?

ook at any close up of his YouTube channel.
gotta love ADAview, not only are the tanks inspiring (and confusing!) they are very helpful to plan how plants should be laid out. Missing the daily fix at the moment but look forward to seeing the new scaped tanks ... one day i will visit the gallery.

Little update, added 10 bucephalandra 'melawi' which is really pretty and was in top condition, also a little microsorum 'needle'.

IMG_4151_zpsc03293a5.jpg

IMG_4152_zps2210698c.jpg

IMG_4153_zps3f713f58.jpg

Did have a FTS but once on the computer it was a shocker lol i'll have another go tomorrow.

Looking very nice Iain, loving all the moss, and once all the plants grow in on the wood it'll be a treat!
What type of wood is it mate?

Hi Iain

Great journal so far mate - lovely set-up and a cracking layout. I've seen the NA kit at Ed's showroom and was very impressed. The stainless piping isn't for me but I'm a bit weird and enjoy cleaning glass...carefully!

I can understand the 'concern' with the left wood but like you say, the planting will change the whole picture in time. I have no doubt this aquascape will develop into one of the UK's finest this year.

The comments about the ADA NA Gallery tanks are interesting and I've given these a lot of thought over the years. I think their success with such apparent low circulation are a combination of factors.

1. Very frequent maintenance. Likely daily. Big maintenance team always on hand to nip any issues in the bud.
2. Low lighting levels. Sure, they're metal halide but they're NA-Green bulbs that have relatively low PAR. They're also suspended quite high.
3. Low water column nutrients and low CO2. This combined with the low light makes the tanks low energy, and so the requirement for perfect circulation is reduced. Aqua Soil obviously helps with the low water nutrient levels. I also believe the soft water helps.
4. Huge algae crew - 1+ shrimp per litre, loads of otos, and SAEs in larger tanks.

To answer your question about the water changes - I believe larger less frequent (say 1x 75% per week) is better than smaller more frequent (say 10% daily). Otherwise the organic waste may slowly build up over time.

Looking forward to following this a lot! :)

Looking very nice Iain, loving all the moss, and once all the plants grow in on the wood it'll be a treat!
What type of wood is it mate?

wood is from ed and believe its standard bogwood. Never gave it much thought before but when i saw it i snapped it up as was also great value and doesnt need soaking :)

Hi Iain
Great journal so far mate - lovely set-up and a cracking layout. I've seen the NA kit at Ed's showroom and was very impressed. The stainless piping isn't for me but I'm a bit weird and enjoy cleaning glass...carefully!
I can understand the 'concern' with the left wood but like you say, the planting will change the whole picture in time. I have no doubt this aquascape will develop into one of the UK's finest this year.

Hey george, thanks for the kind comments. The NA gear is really smart and seeing it at Ed's place really sells it, have to make a point of leave the credit card at home when i visit now.

Your right that is a little weird :p No question that the glass lilys looks much neater when clean but i certainly dont have the patience for it and being a bit oaf handed it always made me nervous cleaning.
As for one of the finest... id love to think so yet those spots are saved for the likes of yourself and a bunch of other people on here that have a touch, and experience, im yet to find.

ADA gallery tanks... think your right yet he still achieves supercharged growth rates which defies the lower light levels no? I'm planning to keep the light relatively low on this one for similar reasons in the hope i can stick to one filter, i guess time will tell. Now if i can just train my housemates to maintain the tank daily were all good :)

Im looking forward to watching it grow too george as really i'm still feeling my way along, i hope it delivers on the image im hoping for.
cheers

Hi Iain, I see you found the time to set up your new tank. It is looking great. Love the greens of the plants with the led unit.
I've set up your old tank as well and put images online, not as professional as you have done yours though.
Would be great to see how this matures out when you manage to get your otos out. I can house a few more if you need to get rid of them ;)

Back