• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

p@h 30cm, Dragonstone Iwagumi attempt (DSM) Now Flooded

m_attt

Been a while since I've been on the site, Have to say some people who had just started the hobbie wow you have amazing tanks now. I had a lot going on and the tanks had to take the background. So now things are more stable I thought i'd have a go at my first Iwagumi. Its defiantly not as easy as loads of people on here make it look. a small cube seams a really hard size to get the perspective right.

so after a days placing and re-placing i finally have a rock arrangement that i'm happy with (criticisms welcome) so will leave it for a few days and make sure i'm happy still then order the plants. Going with the dry start method as want some carpet plants, had success before but fancy trying something new. and gives me some time to sort the rest of the equipment i need.

so pictures.

8786438018_ecbbfede22_c.jpg
DSCN0131 by mattt4985, on Flickr

8786435418_902930964a_c.jpg
DSCN0135 by mattt4985, on Flickr

Thanks for the kind words, yeah think i forgot the height of the plants when pushing the rocks in the sand, was probably going with HC at the front so if i lift the rocks out so they rest on top hopefully they shouldn't disappear to much.

Going to order the plants so will update soon :)

wow thanks George, nice to get a comment like that from someone with your experiance

Hi, here's a pic from the top plenty of room around it all for plants and cleaning :) most likely going to be hair grass around the back so doesn't need much room.

8803967257_f95f20a506_c.jpg
Untitled by mattt4985, on Flickr

Very nice, You can tell that's going to look great straight away.

I too am going to be putting in hairgrass at the back of my tank, I am using a fine gravel as substrate which is only 2 inches in depth in the areas I want to plant it. Also I dont have a carpet, Would 2 inches be enough to hold the hairgrass if I dont disturb the area too much after they're in?

Cheers.

thanks, yes it should be Ive grown hair grass carpets in sand inch or so deep :)

Planted this up today, with the new 1-2 grow, S.repens, HC and Mini Hairgrass. was very impressed how far the HC went, cuts up loads more than 8 peices like it says on the pot. S.Repens was good stuff too. Not so impress with the Hair Grass though, was a lot of wastage did not divide up easily and had to remove a lot of browned leaves.

will wait for the sun to go down a bit and get some shots up.

Very nice.
Not sure how you will keep humidity high without a heat source. Many use under tank heat mats to warm it up a little, in larger tanks a container with water and a heater work, but obviously no good in here as there's nowhere to seat it.
Maybe your light will add heat to the sealed tank.....maybe a lamp with a filament bulb could be used to warm it a bit....unsure of the science behind that though, just me speculating really.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Always enjoyable watching someone craft something so effortlessly. Can't wait to see how this progresses from such a strong start. Love the rocks, plants and the whole layout. Must have been really problematic designing a layout to fit a symmetrical space and love the way you've made it all work. Fantastic.

Very nice layout. I'll be following this journal

Thanks, hope it grows now :)

You should be fine without a heat source, I never use one and I have never had a problem.

ideal, the room is normally 21-22 degrees and the tank has steamed up now so fingers crossed its enough

Always enjoyable watching someone craft something so effortlessly. Can't wait to see how this progresses from such a strong start. Love the rocks, plants and the whole layout. Must have been really problematic designing a layout to fit a symmetrical space and love the way you've made it all work. Fantastic.

Thanks for the kind words, it was far from efortless :), took a day of playing with rocks and reading guides on laying out rocks and perspective. had to walk away from it a few times. Being a small cube was hard to not make it look like a pile of rocks in the middle.

what temp/humidity should i aim for, it has steamed up now and the rocks are staying wet so would that be enough?

Hi m_att

Scape looks great, really good job making the tank look bigger than it is!
How long do you think you'll dry start for?

Cheers,
Nutty

cheers, Im not sure not really read up on it. was going to see how it goes. prob whenthe plants have gown in and start to spread

Back