• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hemianthus callitrichoides getting yellow

CMG

Seedling
Hi,
I started a new aquarium last 16th (12 days ago) and the Hemianthus callitrichoides leaves are turning yellow. They seem burned. And the green ones seem smallwr then when i planted it an loik "old". Also, the roots are on the air instead of getting to the soil...
I still diden't have the time to create a journal but heres a resume of my mount:
Tank: 60x45x30 (81lt.)
Soil: ADA Amazon powder (20lt.)
Filter: Eheim 700lt./hour
Outflow: ADA Lily Pipe
Light: Giesemann Teszla freshwater
Temperature: 26°celsius
CO2: pressurized, 2 bps (reactor is green)

I am doing 20% daily water changes and using one pump of Tropica Plant Growth for each new 10Lt.

Can you help me to find out what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks a lot,
CMG

i believe mike is correct, they should grow back in nicely if you can get them to stay down;) i had terrible trouble getting it to stay at first but eventually it has

tropica plants are grown emersed but shops will just chuck em in a tank

"Some people claim that all aquarium plants should be cultivated under water. But at Tropica we have discovered that plants that are amphibious in the wild adapt more quickly and easily to conditions in an aquarium if they are cultivated above water."

Reactions: CMG
But is that reason enough for them to be that bad? I will post a photo when i get home.
Thanks for your replies

I started my new tank on 3rd May and my Tropica HC has been going through exactly the same process. Most of the old leaves have now melted but there is a lot of new growth with smaller leaves and roots. As the new shoots get longer the roots eventually seem to be finding the substrate. I doubt you're doing anything wrong.

Hope so squid102...
I will post some photos in the next minuts

HC turning yellow is a sign for Nitrogen deficiency. Tropica Plant Gro does not contain NO3 or/and PO4 so you will have to start adding those separately in small amounts.

Here are the pics:

img6475.JPG

img6476n.jpg

img6486y.jpg

The Tropica premium fertiliser (brown colour) is designed for tanks high on fish and low of plants - therefore it contains very little N and P. Those will be provided by the fish and their waste.
The Tropica specialized fertiliser (green colour) is designed for tanks low on fish and high of plants (most of tanks on this forum!;) ) - therefore containing more N and P, to compensate for these not being provided by fish and their waste.
By mixing the two, you can ofcourse up- and down-regulate your levels of N and P, without affecting the other ferts.
- so you might want to add to your brown bottle a green one, to ensure corect amounts:)
Mick.

Hi,
looks like not enough c02 or too much light to me....or both. Lime green drop checker is the aiming point but plants will tell you if you still need more c02. If you cant inject more because of reaching the threshold regards livestock, then you need to reduce lighting intensity first to prevent further damage, and look at distribution. Your 700lph filter is a little shy of 10x turnover, this combined with the possibility of uneven flow distribution due to obstruction from hardscaping may also be a contributing factor.
What power is your lighting unit and how high above the water surface does it sit?
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi CMG,
I was just wondering if you have any updates on the situation? My HC exploded in healhty growth the first week but after a trimming it looks not as green and I have a few yellow leaves here and there. I want to stay on top of the situation before it turns into a problem. What did you end up doing and did it Work?
Thanks!
/Tim

Hi Tim, hi everybody,
Sorry for my weak participation especialy whit those you who gave my feadback on this post. My aquarium is now rocking :) well, for a first timer in a demanding fresh water, i'm quit happy :)
I started doing 3 daily pumps of ADA's GREEN BRIGHTY SPECIAL LIGHTS, and kept about 20% of weekly change. But before that i had a lot of filamentous alges. That was hard to get out but with the inroduction of 6 amano shrimps and 3 crossocheilus siamensis (only population so they only have the algues to eat) i solved the problem in a couple of weeks.
So, now is great and starting to grow to darker areas but the rest could be bether. I suppose if i make more water changes i will solve this, but time is a problem...
Also, the Giesemann Tezla i'm using is doing the job quite well. Only problem is the tank is to large for it (60x45x30) and the background plants tend to tilt to the center where the light is brighter... 50x35x30/35 is the tank for this light. HC starts perling well after one or two hours of light.
So, this junior's expirence, can recomend you this steps.
- about 20% water change every 4 days or 30% a week.
- 3 pumps of Geeen Brighty Special Lights, for each 25lt., daily.
- 1 amano shrimp for each 10lt.
- 1 crossocheilus siamensis for each 20/30lt.
- arround 0.8/1 watt of good light ( i have 66w for arround 80 lt in a 30cm with 25lt. Of amazonia soil.)(light is about 15 cm of the surface)

I' the smartphone its hard to upload pics but i will try later from the desktop!

I hope this can help you Tim, and all of you, what do you think? Am i doing it right?
What plants would you recomend for the backgroun to stsy "still"? Small leaves...

Hope you all have a nice summer :)
Cheers

P.S - Vacation = 2 weeks without water changes!!!!!

Hi again, here are a few pics of my, about 2 and a half months old, 2 to 3 years project! A lot to improve now i have reached my first goal: Good growht of HC :)

epoj.jpg

aj4d.jpg

5nzm.jpg

j3i0.jpg

omsr.jpg

ocdg.jpg

3bsw.jpg

b8c3.jpg

d34g.jpg

3hsq.jpg

nmp6.jpg

8tao.jpg

smnr.jpg

lec1.jpg

a9j3.jpg

7yub.jpg

dusx.jpg

qndu.jpg

As you can see, my background is miserable!!! I have to trim it every 15 days because it grows like crazy to the light... Any ideas for improvement?

Cheers,
Christian

Wow the HC has really taken off! What plant do you have in the BG at the most? I'm on phone so hard to tell.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have mostly ludwigia arcuata. I also have a few small staurogyne repens and in a very bad condition, one bacopa australis. About 10 days ago i planted a couple of egeria densa from another aquarium but it also tends to go tilted in the direction of the light...

Great pics CMG! Congratz on the success!

I still have some problems and have started a new thread on this (I don't want to high-jack your thread). And my stats/situation is a bit different than yours.

Cheers!

No Problem at all Tim, no pirates arround here :)
I will take a look on your thread. Hope i can help you!
Cheers

i planted this 1 and a half month bk but it hasnt covered the ground and there roots coming out like it is grwing upward.... so cnfuse...

Back