• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Short easy carpet for a beginner?

DanMac

I'm quite new to this hobby and have decided that i am going to attempt a carpet in my first proper tank, I have more than enough light and only use easycarbo.

My substrate is fine gravel and only around 1-2 inches thick all over, Realistically could i get a half decent carpet?, if so could anyone recommend an easy short plant with slow growth?

Cheers.

how much is more than enough light?

and how big is your tank?

Like foxfish says "more than enough" is too much

free your mind from the wpg mantra trotted out by manufacturers of expensive lighting systems.

you need to concentrate on providing enough carbon and nutrients to grow a carpet successfully...

light is the accelerator pedal that will stimulate growth. too much and you are asking for trouble if your carbon and nutrients are not up to the task. (you wouldn't run a jet plane on two stroke fuel)

my tank is " 24x12x12, 54 liters and I have a single 24 watt t5 light, I have it on roughly 10 hours a day.

I would say that is pretty high, you may want to consider running lower lighting or provide some floating plants to dim the light. Easy Carbo is not the best source of CO2 so your lighting level would drive the need of CO2 and nutrients higher, but it will work if you dim your lights and use the Easy Carbo along with some nutrient dosing. Some easy carpet plants that I've grown and still am growing is lilaeopsis brasiliensis and hairgrass.

Michael.

You are ok with the light, 2-4ml ec / day (depending on the plant mass) is my normal dose for t5 24w in a similar tank. You can try any carpeting plant, never tried UG with liquid carbon but the rest were ok, just have a little patience since they grow a bit slow, the original leaves might die the new ones should be fine. Don't forget the other ferts. :)

Mike

There is no such thing as an easy carpet plant. If you're even asking the question this might indicate the need to start with a more forgiving type of plant.

Cheers,

I agree, i was not planning on having a carpet but some people on here have said that its possible for me to have one so I thought i would look into it.

At the moment I have a few pieces of moss and I have just planted some hairgrass at the back of the tank which will make it look less empty and maybe give me an idea if a carpet is possible, If i have problems with the hairgrass then I will know to stay away from a carpet and leave that for a future setup

Just try them, buy a pot of whatever you like, divide it in small bits and plant it. 1-2-grow are the best choice inmho. With liquid carbon you need to wait a month before they start growing but once they have you'll get the nice carpet, patience and perseverance are the key. Ensure some decent water movement at soil level and don't skip daily LC dosage and large weekly water changes.

The carpeting plant of my choice Hydrocotyle tripartita, a bit hard to keep it at soil level, needs a lot of trimming:

8448788126_158fae9d45_b.jpg

Now with a mix of Lilaeopsis brasilensis and Eleocharis sp. 'mini' (an old pic, might post an update in my journal)

8664332151_8e795304d0_b.jpg

Both tanks with liquid carbon.

Mike

Very nice, I would go for something similar to the bottom picture. I have no idea where to buy potted plants for aquariums, I have only bought mall pieces from ebay before but im sure potted plants will give you more for your money?

Just try them, buy a pot of whatever you like, divide it in small bits and plant it. 1-2-grow are the best choice inmho. With liquid carbon you need to wait a month before they start growing but once they have you'll get the nice carpet, patience and perseverance are the key. Ensure some decent water movement at soil level and don't skip daily LC dosage and large weekly water changes.

The carpeting plant of my choice Hydrocotyle tripartita, a bit hard to keep it at soil level, needs a lot of trimming:

8448788126_158fae9d45_b.jpg

Now with a mix of Lilaeopsis brasilensis and Eleocharis sp. 'mini' (an old pic, might post an update in my journal)

8664332151_8e795304d0_b.jpg

Both tanks with liquid carbon.

Mike

I have added an extra bag of gravel and my background hairgrass is growing (slowly) so i am now very tempted to go for a carpet, you mentioned decent movement at soil level, how can I do that if my outlet is focused at moving the water surface?, also can i get the carpet plants to fill out with easy carbo alone?

I have added an extra bag of gravel and my background hairgrass is growing (slowly) so i am now very tempted to go for a carpet, you mentioned decent movement at soil level, how can I do that if my outlet is focused at moving the water surface?, also can i get the carpet plants to fill out with easy carbo alone?

Your best using a spray bar which will give better flow to substrate level if your not already using one.
Easy carbo should suffice as long as your adding fertiliser and doing weekly water changes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not keen on having a spray bar and I only use easycarbo,could you recommend a fertiliser? I have no clue about them.

Aquarium plant food are about to sell the glass spray bars which would look fantastic or not as you'd not see them lol.

If not just try to ensure flow is getting every where.

Fertiliser wise id opt for an all in one from one of the sponsors - aquarium plant food, fluid sensor online or aqua essentials or you can get the ei starter kit from apf and follow there instructions. It would last you ages.

If you get stuck give me a shout

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Cheers mate,I'm back on the fence thinking about a carpet lol. ill give it some time and if i go for it ill check out the sponsor sites,I should be starting my journal towards end of the month and if i decide on a carpet ill do it after and update the thread.

Back