• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Inline CO2 Atomizer

Manrock

Thinking of getting one of these inline CO2 atomisers;

UP Inline CO2 Atomizer 12/16mm (D-508-12)

I was wondering if there is any reason not to place it 'pre-filter' rather than between filter and outlet pipe? I can't think of a reason not to but I may be missing something drastic!

I currently run an 'atomiser stone' placed directly under the intake flow pipe (in the tank) but it clogs too easily and I cannot get consistent CO2 levels when using it. I'm trying to squeeze the most out of my CO2 as I find it the most expensive part of my hobby and running a fine mist of bubbles through my filter will surely give more water contact time and so reduce my costs. When the CO2 stone is working well I never see a single CO2 bubble in the tank as it all dissolves before it reaches there and I can turn down the gas flow quite a bit and still keep the drop checker lime yellow; plus I don't get filter 'burp' as I do when not using it.

Cheers

Two issues, CO2 can collect in your filter, maybe ok and get ejected, try and see and also CO2 will "dissolve" in any rubber seals either hardening or softening, but damaging them.

The only issue to worry about is that it will get dirty faster if it's place upstream of the filter. That's where the dirt is comming into the filter. The atomizer should ideally be placed downstream of the filter because the water will have less suspended particles.

What happens most often with external reactors is that they are prone to algae buildup. To solve that problem, just cover the atomizer in black bin liner material to block the light. Even covering it with a rag will block a lot of light and will keep the reactor clean longer. There will still be a buildup of debris, but not as quickly if it's placed downstream of the filter. That solution is the most elegant, obviously, but it works especially well with reactors that use a ceramic disk exposed to the ambient light.

Rubber seals will dissolve at the same rate whether you inject into the filter inlet or not. There is plenty of CO2 in the water that makes contact with the seals, so the exposure is the same.

Cheers,

CO2 can collect in your filter, maybe ok and get ejected
Cheers Ian - I currently run it through the filter anyway with no build up when using the CO2 stone. It does 'burp' without it though.

it will get dirty faster if it's place upstream of the filter
Cheers ceg - that's the one thing I didn't think of! At the moment I like the fact that I don't have CO2 bubbles spraying into my tank as I see them as 'wasted' gas (they find the fastest route to the atmosphere, up and out). How hard is it to clean these inline atomisers?

What happens most often with external reactors is that they are prone to algae buildup
It will be underneath in the cabinet, a dark place, so that should help eliminate this problem.

Thanks for the help guys.

Steve

to the OP i am about to swap from a 12/16mm up inline atomiser to an external reactor . i have ordered the reactor etc , so if youre not in a hurry and can wait a few days , i will happily send you my atomiser as it will be no longer required .

Hey, cheers plantnoob! Do you want anything for it? Have a look in the sale/swap section if you want any free plants from the selection I'm selling. If you PM me when it's available we can sort it from there.

Many thanks

Steve

no worries . il take a look in the sale/swap section and see if anything tickles my fancy :) .

Back