• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias nana or nana petite??

killi69

I bought a large batch of Anubias nana petite from Seaside Aquatics. Price was very good and the plants arrived today in good health. Four out of the 20 plants were large specimens such as the one on the left;
20130601_120519_zpsb84e2dbe.jpg

My only problem is that to me the leaves on the plant on the left look too large to be A. n. petite. The other sixteen plants supplied are the size of the plant in the middle, which looks more like petite I think. The plant on the right is A. n. petite from my tank (which I have had for 6-9 months) and I expected that leaves of petite would not grow larger than this.

Seaside Aquatics say that all plants sent come from the same Dutch supplier and that the smaller ones are merely younger specimens that may or may not reach the same size as the larger ones, depending on the tank conditions. They also said that perhaps the larger specimens had grown so large because of the fact that they have been grown emersed.

What do people here think? Is is possible for petite to grow such large leaves? Or will leaves only grow that big in emersed state?

Btw the service from Seaside has been very good and they are happy to take the items back from me if I am not satisfied.

I look forward to hearing your views on this. Thanks,

Andre

Thanks Luis. I feared these were nana also.

I am not able to compare with the ones you sent me as I received plants from both you and davem (thanks again to both of you;)) at the same time while I was on holiday earlier this month and do not know which plants came from who.

I was wondering whether A. n. petite emersed would grow large leaves, but clearly you think not. Very helpful, thanks!

Andre - you would be surprised how many varieties of Anubias nana, Anubias petite, Anubias bonzai.......and basically Anubias whatever-anyone-wants-to-call-it are out there. I've even seen varieties in all of them (not surprising, since they're ALL just varieties of A. barterii). This means, that there will be a little variation even vithin fx. A. barterii var. nana var. petite (a variation ("petite") of a variation ("nana") of MAYBE a species A. barterii.) Sorry, if this is frustrating, but that's how it works.:(
The emergent form of A. 'petite' is, by the way, growing bigger leaves - but will grow smaller leaves again immerse.
- That said, Andre, I also find the leaves of your bigger plants too big for the variety 'petite':thumbdown:
Mick.

Agree with Mick, I have bought petite before and it's been on the larger side, then bought it again and it's been tiny!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I sent the plants back and ordered a batch of A. n. bonsai (grown by Aquafleur) from Aqua Essentials, who assured me the leaves will be much smaller than the plant pictured on the right.

Back