• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nymphaea Tiger Lotus bulb which way up?

Bertie

Hi, I realize the answer should be obvious but have not had before. I have just taken delivery of two of these bulbs and I think the pointed end should be up?
Trouble is both ends are reasonably pointed, and the end that I think should be facing downwards have a small amount of root and tiny leaf growth both from the same end!
So I am confused as to why both are coming from the same end and which is up and down?

plant it on its side, and it will naturally grow the right way.

Can anyone tell me why the roots and some leaf growth is coming from the same end?

No, I can't, but they do do this. I'm sure there is a perfectly reasonable explanation with regards to their natural environment or the way that the growth sections form relative to each other that explains this, but I don't know what it is.

Hi and thanks for that...just thought that I was seeing things!!!

The bulb of tiger-lotus can give one or more sprouts. Sounds like yours can grow from both ends, by description. Quite normal, and as told, you just plant it horizontally. What happens is, that the shoot coming from the bulb will grow an entire plant - roots, leaves and eventually a bulb. That's why you see both roots and leaves emerging from same point.........so you're not "seeing things" - merely observing, my friend :p
Mick.

It's because it's not really a bulb, just called one for convenience. It's a rhizome, a root stock. A true bulb is like a bud, where the roots grow from the bottom and the stems or leaves from the top.
You can plant your Tiger Lotus with the shoots at the top and don't worry about the roots, or as m_att says you can plant it on it's side if on doubt. The roots and stems will respond to gravity and each will grow in the appropriate direction.

Thanks all for the help and super descriptions...they are on their side and I will leave them to do their own thing!

Back