• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

what would the effect be ?

plantnoob

i plumbed up my powerhead/reactor/ full length spraybar setup today . the pipe i ordered for the spraybar hasnt been delivered yet , so i went and got a bit of pipe from a plumbers merchant . the pipe i ordered is 12mm outside diameter , and the pipe i bought and used today is 12mm inside diameter . ive got 10 2mm holes spaced along the length of the spraybar , and these do hit the front glass with a pretty good force . if i was to swap for the smaller pipe i have ordered with the same hole size/spacing . could i expect stronger or weaker jets/flow from the holes ? or would it not make any real difference ?

if
(number of holes * surface area of holes) > area of the cross section of the pipe
then your flow is going to be slower. (ie it will exit the bar at a slower speed than it enters at the end)

if
(number of holes * surface area of holes) > area of the cross section of the pipe
then your flow is going to be slower. (ie it will exit the bar at a slower speed than it enters at the end)

^a good place to start so you dont restrict flow by not having enough holes.

Cross section of pipe wont make much difference, in your case, youll get the same flow through your holes. If anything youll get slightly more flow because theres less resistance in spraybar. If your worried drill holes 1.5mn and try first

^a good place to start so you dont restrict flow by not having enough holes.

Cross section of pipe wont make much difference, in your case, youll get the same flow through your holes. If anything youll get slightly more flow because theres less resistance in spraybar. If your worried drill holes 1.5mn and try first

the area of the holes is greater than the area of the cross section of the spraybar then the outflow will be slower than the flow entering the pipe.

The volume of water passing out the holes in the spray bar will be the same.

So if you want fast flow (ie strong spraybar jets) you want few narrow holes. If you want slow (gentle) flow your have lots of large holes.

Hope that makes sense

i want the strongest flow possible . the hole size / spacing ive got in the current 12mm i/d pipe gives pretty decent flow . i was just trying to assertain wether using the same hole size / spacing on pipe the same length but with a smaller i/d would result in stronger jets due to the water being forced out under more pressure , or slower jets due to restricted flow .

i want the strongest flow possible . the hole size / spacing ive got in the current 12mm i/d pipe gives pretty decent flow . i was just trying to assertain wether using the same hole size / spacing on pipe the same length but with a smaller i/d would result in stronger jets due to the water being forced out under more pressure , or slower jets due to restricted flow .

It would result in a stronger velocity out of the holes using a smaller I/d pipe but over all flow per hour would be reduced slightly not that youd notice as the water will appear to be coming out stronger.

It works similar to when you use the eheim duck outlets on the smaller eheim filters. The velocity of the water is much much more as the end of the pipe has been closed together

Hope that helps

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

perfect , thanks alastair . when the clear acrylic arrives , i will use the existing pipe as a template . a little extra velocity cant be a bad thing when it comes to pushing that co2 down to the substrate where im putting in a riccia carpet .

Back