• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Seven Moss Cube

Oh, why not try pogostemon erectus instead of the stellata? it has a more delicate leaf formation which reminds me of pine trees a little and would suit nicely the rear.....just a thought :)

Thanks Ady:),
Pogostomon Erectus looks almost the same doesn't it? I wonder if that's actually what I already have, although the leaves on mine are slightly serrated. I thought about Mayaca as an even finer version too, but I'm also wanting to go for less stem plants in general, mainly because it's fiddly to maintain behind the wood there.

aKMlNDi.jpg

Started to worry that the sodastream canister would run out the other day, and lo the very next day the pressure had dropped below 50. So, I've gone back to renting from London Beer Gas because it seemed simplest and cheapest in the long run (3.15kg canister). I didn't like using the sodastream because it has no valve of it's own, and anyway if I disregard the refundable deposit this canister is over seven times as much co2 for only twice the price.

Currently I have a black rubber o-ring on the regulator seal. This one came spare with the Sodastream adaptor, and the old regulator one, which was plastic of some sort, was cracked. It hasn't leaked in six weeks on the Sodastream. Should I try to get a plastic one? Or just monitor for leaks now and again. I've used a little petroleum jelly on it both times, as recommended by the Sodastream adaptor supplier.

My Up Atomiser arrived today, but I can't fit it because the high-pressure bubble counter/check valve that I ordered hasn't (and could take anywhere from a day to another month). I guess, if it works, I'll need to order another spare atomiser because they must need cleaning, even if not as often as an internal diffusor. Nobody in the UK seems to have the smallest model in stock.

Oh also, I'm trying an experiment with running the Aquaray controller on a timer. Letting the internal battery remember the settings overnight when it's off. This way I hope to be able to have it set to minimum 1% moonlight morning and evenings for however long I want (but not all night), and have the lights ramp up to 100% coinciding with the ambient light in the room. Just depends how long the internal battery lasts I guess, though it is essentially just a tiny digital clock that's not even displaying when unplugged.

For a few days I'm trying to get the background plants going with an extra 9w pod light too.

Hi Joel, I have my controller working exactly the same way - 1% minimum but turned off for 8hrs during the night by a separate timer. With the cost of these units I was really surprised they don't allow multiple events over a 24hr period - even my £5 timer from B&Q does this! Haven't had any problems over the past month with turning off the power everyday but do have a nagging doubt this may shorten the life of the unit.

Ha! Yes I was surprised you couldn't do it any other way. Also that the 240min ramp up/down takes 230mins on mine! (got it on 60 at the moment anyway). I opened up the controller to see if the battery is replaceable and it is, (it's a CR2032), so hopefully running that down is the only damage we're doing. What ramp and photoperiod are you running? I think everything I'm trying is too long, but so far has just resulted in a touch of GSA on the glass.

I reckon you must have your light set just right - all your plants are looking super healthy!

I'm on a 5hr photoperiod and a 15min ramp, probably going to take this up to 6hrs in a week or two to see if the extra hour has any adverse effects. Really love the 1% - in ambient daylight it gives just enough light to give a clear view and minimise the glass reflections and at night the tank has a nice glow.

Great you opened up the cover and found a replaceable battery… fingers crossed!

eTVYRiD.jpg

FWbqeRB.jpg

qihIRNd.jpg

Very tempted to get a DSLR camera, and more than double the cost of an already expensive project...
Layout thoughts are influencing my sketching too, I think. This is of a meadow at Walthamstow Marshes:

6hMsBkC.jpg

Great looking watercube ;)
London beer gas is great, you wont regret it. Always next day free refills to your door. Never failed. Using them for more than 2 years now with 3 6kg bottles. Couple extra £ to start with but well worth it. :thumbup:

5zfp0wu.jpg

siuF7gC.jpg

So, this is the tank just after the CO2 goes off, after a day of being cloudy and fizzy with bubbles from the Up Atomizer. I think the majority of the bubbles are CO2 caught in the plants, rather than pearling. As you can see the drop checker is not quite lime green, even here at the end of the photoperiod.

I'm wondering about trying the Atomizer on the intake rather than the outflow. I know that some people have done this successfully, but this Eden 501 filter is rather small so I worry that it could get noisy and/or impede flow. Thoughts, anyone?

Back