• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Im still planning on sumping but might wait until my bigger project next year

you plan to go bigger than this :O

water looks crystal clear too! have you got/tried out those LED bulbs yet?

Alistair,

I had thought about this before in light of my own tank experiances. My tank surface area is 8ft by 3ft and over winter especially I was getting condensation issues on the windows of my living room. I have since had it covered with Acrylic sheets, the condensation stopped.

Just somthing to consider.

Plants look to be bedding in well al and gin clear too. You running any purigen or carbon?

When i see this tank i cant help but think with its dimensions how sweet it would look as a coral reef crest :angelic:
or maybe mangroves, macro algae and seahorses :wacky: haha just day dreaming out loud.

you plan to go bigger than this :O

water looks crystal clear too! have you got/tried out those LED bulbs yet?

Yep I plan to go 5 or 6ft all round by 60 or 70 cm height once this has grown in and I need more room for the choccos.

Still haven't gotten round to trying the led lights yet. Its on my to do list.

Simply Stunning Alastair

Hiya Gill thanks mate. Hope your well :)

Alistair,

I had thought about this before in light of my own tank experiances. My tank surface area is 8ft by 3ft and over winter especially I was getting condensation issues on the windows of my living room. I have since had it covered with Acrylic sheets, the condensation stopped.

Just somthing to consider.
Do you cover it all year round sanj or just winter time??

Is the lighting rig mains powered?

Yes mate all runs off the mains.

Plants look to be bedding in well al and gin clear too. You running any purigen or carbon?

When i see this tank i cant help but think with its dimensions how sweet it would look as a coral reef crest :angelic:
or maybe mangroves, macro algae and seahorses :wacky: haha just day dreaming out loud.
Ha ha im still day dreaming now mate as to the possibilities.
Not too happy with the wood planting yet but will be patient.

Funny you mention the purigen iain as ive got no carbon or purigen running in it.
It does have a very slight tint to the water from the alder cones but isnt noticeable on the photos.

I was going to put up a thread though, I know purigen removes organic compounds tannins etc, so if this was the case does this then mean it would remove all the beneficial anti fungal and humic acid properties of the alder cones almond leaves and peat etc??????

Yeah,...just like Iain said there,..the water's so clear. Coming along nicely Alastair:)

Thanks faizal. Im only sticking to 3 10 percent water changes a week currently and dropping to 1 eventually.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I only just got these covere made in January/February time this year. I have left them on, but looking back it was only in the colder months that i noticed the issue.

I noticed that too on my last tank Sanj. Condensation on the back door was shocking. Ive got this under control with adjusting the heater so much less water evaporation but still more than most. Im going to look at buying a 4ft square acrylic or plastic sheet and cutting it to fit over during the winter.

Hi Al. Sorry for not replying to your pm; been in Greece. Flying home tonight will get in touch in a day or so.

Hiya mate. No worries hope you've had a nice holiday mate. Look forward to your reply......
Oh and an update on your journal ;)

When you add the Chocolates it should be goodbye Mr. Fry. They are good hunters.

Lol believe it or not theyve not battered an eye lid so to speak. Theyve all gone in and arent the slightest bit interested.
There are two of the rainbow fry now and sanj has identified them. Both doing well and greedily eating banana worm.

Ive just added 5 small ottos as I thought my single otto should have friends after being in the last 3 tanks with out but its more interested in swimming around with the corys than its own kind.

Ive took a few photos today of mainly the licorice gouramis as they are showing some really deep intense colour which I didn't see before.
Ive also jusy started testing these new fertilisers and plant colour is really nice. Its only been the second week of dosing so will see how they perform but reading other reviews they are awesome ferts.
Will get a few pictures up when I can. Must say though that the plant growth is fantastic for 3 weeks old.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Pleased its going so well Alastair, you and the fish deserve a good run of it now given your patience during the early frustrations :)
Will you keep the rainbowfish or move them on? Maybe a bit boisterous for the chocos?
Look forward to more pics.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Pleased its going so well Alastair, you and the fish deserve a good run of it now given your patience during the early frustrations :)
Will you keep the rainbowfish or move them on? Maybe a bit boisterous for the chocos?
Look forward to more pics.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Thanks Ady thats nice of you to say. i feel like a massive weight has been lifted as i was beginning to get frustrated with staring at a cabinet after two tank fails and clutter in my dining room. Alls well though as i have a female chocloate gourami with eggs. must be very homely for them.

ill be keeping the rainbow fish mate as they dont grow big at all and arent boisterous. they like soft water and calm tank mates. if they do ok which they seem to be im going to try and get few more off Sanj as these are offspring from some heiko bleher brought over. Sanj went over to the netherlands to get them.... this is what theyll look like
Pseudomugil gertrudae – Spotted Blue-eye — Seriously Fish
The tank looks great. Well done. It's nice to see it finally going.

How much surface movment are you running on this tank Alastair?

Hi mate, im not running too much surface movement, just enough for the lily pipe to be pulling down water and creating a gentle ripple on the surface like this

above and below shot
9011388202_c266940641_b.jpg

9010202465_070a49c643_b.jpg

heres how the tank is looking as of this week, im pretty impresses with the growth rate for a low tech after 3 weeks, the tennelus is really taking off.

9014731479_d1aebd8b17_b.jpg

9011392670_53f9419fd6_b.jpg

excuse the pic quality it was just a quick phone snap
8917225323_7ca22b1c9f_b.jpg

The choccos seem to be in breeding mode as two have been actively following one another and doing mating behaviour

9010193555_3cfbec669a_b.jpg

9010186997_5cbbb1eae3_b.jpg

licorice gouramis colouring up really nicely now
9011347634_2909b25a12_b.jpg

8997986615_318e69e29c_b.jpg

8999160148_239a52f450_b.jpg

8997968513_688cb7dc28_b.jpg

heres the fertilisers im trialling. i seem to be getting some good results so far. i thought id test out the root tabs in the front left corner of the tank and can clearly see a big difference in the tennelus there to anywhere else in the tank.

9013829307_392db3ce9d_b.jpg

im dosing at a quarter of the recommended levels with having a low tech tank which would mean each bottle of macro and micro would last me 62 weeks :).

they look nice anyway

ive already promised someone a set but have one or two spare if anyone else wants to try if i can get time to send out.

oh i also got 5 ottos at the weekend which are very active
9014662607_a1127e3c4c_b.jpg

and 14 more choccos to add in later this week and 30 crystal red shrimp in a fortnight which should add a nice bit of colour.

Looking great mate, the fish look very happy and its only gonna get better!
I was thinking thet would be huge rainbows like in Sanj's display tanks, those Gertrude's are lovely and perfect for a set up like yours.
Cheerio
Ady.

Back